Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My printer was working fine with no issues and all of a sudden this morning I was only able to print all MS Word, Xcel, & Publisher documents.  I could not print  PowerPoint or PDF's.  I get a "Configuration Error message 80070005".  I have run all the diagnostics; have followed all the suggestions for this error: turning printer on and off, even removing ink cartridges and completely unplugging.  Checked all drivers and firmware all are up to date.  Nothing changes it.  It seems weird that it's printing word docs with no problem but others are an issue.   Any suggestions on what else to do? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Ceaturn

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I have gone through your Post and I understand that you are unable to print PDF files

I'll try my best to help and we should be able to get to the bottom of this issue 😉

Let's start with a Printer Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed

Next uninstall the Printer driver from Root Level and download the Full Feature Software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

14.) Try printing PDF files

Note: Connect the USB cable only when prompted during installation

Keep me posted and let me know if that works. 👍

Have a wonderful day. Thank you 😁

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and this will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem as the previous poster - I can't print large Powerpoint files or pdfs from my HP color laser jet pro MFP M477fnw. I used to have no issue for first 3 months of using this printer - but the problem started a few weeks ago.

I am on a MacBook Air using Mojave 10.14.3. The solution you posted was for Windows - can you post a fix for Macs.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Also looking for a solution for a MAC computer.  Unable to print a powerpoint.  I have to convert EVERY file to a pdf in order to print anything now!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.