Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have specks appearing down the left center of the page on my LaserJet M401dn. (See below) Scan20210214_10035289.jpg

I put in a new toner cartridge, and the problem was resolved for a while, but it came back exactly the same as before. I did the partial print test, and the specs are showing up before the fuser and are visible on the drum, but are not on the paper before it passes under the drum. The drum is getting cleaned properly on each pass. I have cleaned the drum with cotton balls and isopropyl alcohol, but it doesn't help. The specks seem to get worse the more toner that is on the page. However, even if I run a blank piece of paper through it, they still are there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Leaking toner, the problem is not the drum but one of the sealing blades.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Leaking toner, the problem is not the drum but one of the sealing blades.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks Repairatrooper! I assume that this is inside the toner cartridge and nothing I can fix? Any idea what might cause this to happen to two cartridges in a row?

HP Recommended

Are these original HP or remans? Depending on vendor we have seen failure rates as high as 80% for some reman cartridges. Media can sometimes cause problems as well, a bit of paper can get stuck between the drum and the toner receptacle and that allows toner to run down.

HP Recommended

They are both original HP 80x cartridges. We do print a lot of #10 envelopes (about 100/week), but that's about the only thing unusual.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.