Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Ent. MFP M577z
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I have a good supply of Epson "DURABrite ink Glossy Photo Paper" which is indicated to be used with Epson Stylus C63/C64/C83/C84/CX5400/CX6400 printers (inkjet). I don't have any of these printers. Would I be able to use this paper with my HP MFP M577z, or would I risk damaging the printer? Thank you for your advice.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

As this paper (no longer produced by Epson?) was intended to be used with (certain) inkjet devices, I strongly suspect that you would indeed cause damage to your laser printer if you used this paper with it.

HP Recommended
I absolutely agree, any media put in a laser printer should either specify that it is rated for use in a laser printer or multipurpose.

In some cases media is specifically rated for use in a color laser printer.

The issue is that media fed through a LaserJet has to be able to handle a whole lot more heat than media that runs through an inkjet.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Here you have the printer specs for glossy paper 

HPSC | B5L48A

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution .
HP Recommended
@SHThompson wrote:
The issue is that media fed through a LaserJet has to be able to handle a whole lot more heat than media that runs through an inkjet.

I understand. But what could happen in this case? I'm sure the paper would not 'melt' in the fuser (like an inadequate transparency). Unless the glossiness is created by the application of some kind of 'plastic' layer on top of the paper substrate... Is this how glossy paper is made, perhaps?

Or, maybe, the toner granules would not adhere properly to the paper due to its possibly poor electrostatic properties or lack of thermal binding with the toner. But in this case, I suppose the print quality would be poor, although the printer would not be damaged. 

HP Recommended

>> ... I'm sure the paper would not 'melt' in the fuser (like an inadequate transparency). Unless the glossiness is created by the application of some kind of 'plastic' layer on top of the paper substrate ...

I think that is the problem - the glossy face on inkjet photo paper (which needs to be able to absorb liquid ink) is not designed for the (much) higher temperatures experienced when passed through a laser printer fuser unit, and the likelihood is that the fuser and/or rollers would be contaminated or damaged.

See this old thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/What-damage-would-result-from-using-inkjet-paper-in-a-l...

Of course, it's your printer: if you want to try to save money by using up old (inkjet) paper stock, you have to weigh up the savings here against the probable repair / replacement costs involved when you find that the laser printer is damaged.

HP Recommended

Thank you! Everything makes complete sense. I certainly am not going to risk my new laser printer. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.