Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MacBook Pro
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I am having trouble changing paper trays when I want to print something like photos from Tray 1.  I have changed the settings, changed the tray, changed the size, and changed the settings in my application.  My printer keeps the previous settings (tray), and I'm wasting a lot of ink and paper.  It does the same thing when I go the other direction, switching from Tray 1 to Tray 2.  I have tried a number of things--including resetting and turning the printer off and back on.  Still with the same results.  It just seems to change trays when it wants to.  What am I doing wrong?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Texana

A warm welcome to HP Forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

Once a print job is complete Mac OS will use the same print settings for future print jobs until you select new settings if  "Reset Presets Menu to 'Default Settings' After Printing" option is Unchecked. Use the steps below to enable "Reset Presets Menu to 'Default Settings' After Printing":

1.) Open the document or photo you want to print, click File, click Print, and then click Show Details, if necessary.

2.) Click the Presets menu, and then select Show Presets....

3.) Check the box Reset Presets Menu to "Default Settings" After Printing.

4.) Click OK.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  This may work, at a certain point in my printing, but I think I've past that.  What I think I've done is to not insure that both the printer and my print command windows on my computer have the proper and same settings, as in 4 x 6 for the photos, and Tray 1 with the heaviness of the paper.  It seems redundant to have to select these on the job I want to print from my computer and also on the printer.  But it appears I've not been consistent in making sure all my settings are accurate.  I did try your advise this morning, and it still printed from Tray 2, but my printer settings on the printer were not the same, so I got my photo (again) on 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper from Tray 2.  (Want a photo of my mother? I have many).  Anyway, I believe your suggestions are accurate, as long as I make sure the printer also has those settings.  Thanks for your help.  I'll try it again later to see if my success stands.

HP Recommended

@Texana

You are welcome 🙂 Sure, try those steps at your convenience.

Keep me posted!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.