Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

If I finish the paper when I'm printing, an alert box appears telling me to load the tray. I load the tray, and then I click on "continue". At this point the alert box disappears but printing does not resume. The alert box will reappear after about 15 seconds. I click on the button "continue" and finally printing restart. It seems to me that this defect is born after a firmware update. My system is Windows XP Professional SP3.
In the configuration page of the printer I read that the total memory ram is 8 Mb but the available memory ram is only 2 Mb. Why? Is it a bug?
Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After speaking with one of our engineers, he assures me that there is nothing wrong with your printer. Generally speaking once the printer runs out of paper it will take a short period of time for the paper sensors in the printer to communicate that paper is again present in the tray. He did tell me that this issue should not be affected by the level of toner that you have.

My recommendation is that you ensure prior to any large print jobs that you have enough paper present in the tray to complete the job. Otherwise after replacing the paper in the printer give it a short period of time before resuming the print job.

I hope this information is helpful to you!

Have a great day! 

🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
I would first perform a hard reset, this would be where you remove the power cord from the back of the unit and from the wall outlet for thirty seconds, then plug them back in.

Just for general knowlege, is this printer plugged into a surge protector, wall outlet, battery backup or power strip?

Let me know and I'll get right back with you!

Have a great day!

🙂
HP Recommended
Nothing changes. Yes, the printer is plugged into a power strip. Thankyou very much.
HP Recommended
I would do that hard reset and plug the printer into a wall outlet instead of that power strip (this is the preferred method by HP).

Additionally, I would suggest uninstalling the printer and reinstalling it from the software on the HP website (linked below):

http://goo.gl/XJj8h

Last bit of advice is to wait a moment after replacing the paper before telling the printer to resume. It may take a moment for the paper sensor to calibrate and send the appropriate information back to the computer. A quick question, how is the printer connected to your computer (wireless, ethernet or USB)?

Let me know how this goes and I will be right back with you.

have a great day!

🙂
HP Recommended

Nothing has changed. The printer worked fine for about six months; the defect seems to be appearing after firmware upgrade.

Thankyou very much.

HP Recommended
Let's start by running the Print and Scan Doctor from HP. Here is a link for that: http://goo.gl/u3jDE

Next lets look what might be causing the issue, are you referring to the firmware update that was issued by HP last October? Here is a link to that to be sure that you are using the most current version of the firmware.

http://goo.gl/2fgh1

As for the question about the printer's memory, that is something I will have to check into. It probably deals with the fact that you might have stored data on the printer. If you go to the front menu generally there is an option for "Restore Printer Defaults" which will clear that cache (however it will also wipe other stored data like your wireless settings if you have it connected wireless).

Speaking of which, is the printer connected with a USB, Ethernet or Wireless connection?

Let me know and have a great day!

🙂

HP Recommended

Thankyou; I have already run the Print and scan doctor, but there are no errors. Yes, the current firmware was issued by HP last October (20120814). The printer is connect by a usb cable. I have resetted the printer but the free memory is always 2 MB; when I phoned to Italian HP support the technician saw that it was so also in his printer but he did not know why...

I apologize for my bad English and I thank you very much for your help !

HP Recommended

Stefafog, your English is fine, I assure you, it is the issue you are dealing with that is causing me trouble 

To see if the issue is present only with your current configuration (USB) can you try to connect the printer though an Ethernet or wireless connection and reload the software to try to re-create the issue?

Let me know how that goes and I will be back with you as soon as possible!

A presto!

🙂 

HP Recommended
I'm sorry, but I have already done this test in wireless: no change. I have also connetted the printer to another PC with Windows XP and one with Windows 7: no change. It remains only to try another toner; I  don' t know whether it would be important (I 've changed it a few months ago). However, the defect is not serious and I do not want to bother you too much. I will wait to finish the toner.
thank you very much

HP Recommended

After speaking with one of our engineers, he assures me that there is nothing wrong with your printer. Generally speaking once the printer runs out of paper it will take a short period of time for the paper sensors in the printer to communicate that paper is again present in the tray. He did tell me that this issue should not be affected by the level of toner that you have.

My recommendation is that you ensure prior to any large print jobs that you have enough paper present in the tray to complete the job. Otherwise after replacing the paper in the printer give it a short period of time before resuming the print job.

I hope this information is helpful to you!

Have a great day! 

🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.