Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M118dw
Linux

My M118dw was previously connected to my network wirelessly. At some point, this ceased to function. It was working fine and allowed printing from all devices on the network, both Linux and iOS.
The printer was previously configured to not have its own SSID/direct connect network broadcasting, but to join one of the home networks. The printer obtained its IP from DHCP from a service on the network, as do all other devices, each with a static IP for the MAC. It is no longer doing this.
I cannot see the MAC address in the wireless routers client list. Plugging it into the network with a cable, it does not appear to request DHCP from the service either. With the UTP cable plugged in I can see both link and activity on both ends of the cable, assumedly ARP traffic etc., as it is not requesting DHCP.
I am guessing the best approach is to reset the unit, factory default, and configure again. If this is the best approach, how do I go about doing this? The printer is a month or so old if that, and has had a very easy life (20 pages top).
Hopefully, that explains the situation currently, any further questions, let me know.
Thank you for your assistance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@zerosandones

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Example of the control panel buttons, icons, and lights

1-  Wireless button and light (wireless models only): Turns the wireless feature on or off, or configures the Wi-Fi Direct connection.

• The light is on when a wireless connection is established.

• A slowly blinking light indicates that a connection is configuring.

• A rapidly blinking light indicates an issue with the wireless connection.

Step 1: Connect the printer to the wireless network

Use Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) to connect the printer so the HP installer can find the printer during the installation. Consult your wireless router manual to confirm if it supports the WPS push button connection type.

1. On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button .
  2. Release the button when the wireless light starts blinking.

3. Within two minutes, press and release the WPS button on your wireless router.

4. Wait up to two minutes while the printer and router establish a network connection.

After the printer connects to the network, the wireless light is on and steady.

Step 2: Perform a wireless network diagnostic test From the printer control panel, you can run a diagnostic test that provides information about the wireless network settings.

1. Open the HP Embedded Web Server (EWS):

a. Print a configuration page to determine the IP address or hostname.

i. Press and hold the Resume button until the Ready light begins blinking.

ii. Release the Resume button. 

b. Open a web browser, and in the address line, type the IP address or hostname exactly as it displays on the printer configuration page. Press the Enter key on the computer keyboard. The EWS opens. NOTE: If the displays a message indicating that accessing the website might not be safe, select the option to continue to the website. Accessing this website will not harm the computer.

2. Select the Networking tab.

3. On the Wireless &onfigurDtion page, verify that the On option is selected.

4. Click the Print Test Report button to print a test page that shows test results.

On your iOS device, Use the HP Smart App. Click here

Let me know how this goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.