Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
color LaserJet Pro M252dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Tried everything. Why does HP make this so difficult? 252n has no automatic duplex but 252dw is supposed to. HP has wasted hours of my time on this seemingly simple problem.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, @RockinRobin2 – Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand that you are facing issues while printing 2-sided / duplex on your LaserJet printer. I would suggest the steps mentioned below to try and fix the issue:

1. Go to Control panel – Devices and printers.
  2. Right-click on LaserJet Pro M252dw and select “Printing preferences”.
  3. Under the Paper/Quality or Layout tab, select the 2-sided / duplex printing option.
  4. Apply and save the settings. Now try to print.

If the issue still persists, then the issue could be with the printer drivers and I would recommend installing the updated printer drivers for smooth printer functioning. Here are the steps:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on http://hp.care/2oRduzI to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  • Now, again change the printing preferences and try to print 2-sided and check.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The 'automatic discovery' feature used by some (Windows) drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

If your model does not have a duplex unit fitted, then you can't do automatic duplexing; you can only do manual duplexing (assuming that the printer driver supports this).

HP Recommended

Dvortex -- thanks so much for at least trying to help! Things get stranger and stranger.!

My HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw works beautifully with automatic duplex printing ON MY iMAC! I just watched it beautifully print out 70 pages, in color, with automatic duplex. Works like a charm.

HOWEVER, totally different story on my PC running an updated Windows 10. Followed your instructions below. Under "Paper Quality" tab, there was nothing. Under "Finishing," you can check "Print on both sides (manually)." Nothing allows you automatic duplex printing.

I did find a place makred "automatic duplex -- enable" but it was GREYED OUT and did not allow me to change the setting.

What the heck is happening? Did Apple buy HP secretly? Why would automatic duplex work PERFECTLY on my iMac and be totally unusable on my (much newer) windows desktop? Wierd!! 

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hello, @RockinRobin2

It looks like a driver issue with the Windows 10 PC. Let's try a clean install to try and fix the issue:

·         First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

·         Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Deskjet printer entries and uninstall them.

·         Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

·         Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

·         Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

·         Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

·         Restart your computer.

·         Now click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/LES/M252/HP_LaserJet_M252_Full_Software_and_Drivers_15309.e... to install the software.

Once the installation is completed, restart the PC and check for duplex printing settings.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.