Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet MFP M476DW
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've had this printer for years and have always had problems inserting Paper Tray 2 (it holds letter & legal-sized paper). It pulls out easily enough, but inserting it has never been easy. It almost always takes multiple tries (slide from the bottom, tilt before inserting, etc.) and seems to be related to the drop-down green thing above the bottom tray since sometimes it drops down and I have to push it back up before I'm able to insert the tray.

This time, however, nothing I've tried has worked. The tray gets stuck about 3/4 of the way in and sticks out about 2.5 inches. The printer shows no error messages & I am able to print but it is very irritating not to be able to insert the tray all the way.

I tried removing the tray and tilted the printer onto its back to see if I could figure out the relationship between that green thing-a-ma-bob and the printer tray but there's nothing obvious I can see.  I've been unable to find anything in the manuals or in videos to illustrate how things work physically inside the printer (i.e., the relationship between the paper tray and that green thing).

Here's a picture showing how the metal sides of the paper tray are stopped physically by the black sides of the printer.

MFPTray2-Pic6-WithCircle.jpg

I desperately want to know not only how to fix this right now but to understand why I have had this ongoing problem. Inserting a paper tray should be a no-brainer, not a nightmare.

Does anybody have a picture of the INSIDE of the printer showing how that green thing (which I think is the source of the problem) is supposed to be installed?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Not sure I have a 476 in the shop, will check tomorrow morning and post a pic if I do. Illustrations below are from the service and repair manuals.

476 tray 2.jpg476 tray.jpg 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Ah, so that green thingie is the jam access tray. At least I have a name for it.

Over the years, that tray frequently drops down when I try to insert tray 2. I'll push it back up and, if I'm lucky, after several trials, I'll somehow get tray 2 to slide all the way in. I don't know what's happened so that now I can't.

I assume the bottom and sides of tray 2 must have to align with something inside the printer and I'm guessing that somehow the jam access tray is now preventing that. 

There are no broken parts inside the printer or on the tray itself.

If there is any way you can show me how the green jam access tray is supposed to sit inside the printer and how the bottom/sides of tray 2 are supposed to slip into the printer, I'd be truly grateful.

(I've never been able to figure out what I've been doing when the tray doesn't go in vs. what I've been doing when it does and it's very frustrating that it's reached the point where I can't do it at all.)

HP Recommended

Some models use a magnet to keep the tray in place, others have a friction lock. I am not sure about the 476 and I do not have one in my fleet right now that I can look at.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

We have had cases where the metal brace on the bottom of the printer gets bent in the middle and drags on the bottom of the tray and pushes it upwards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.