Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Printer: HP Laserjet Pro 200 color M251n

Firmware: 2014-06-04 , Version 20140521

Problem:

Since the latest Firmware update the printer is unresponsive in Sleep/Standby Mode no Events (all configured to wake up the printer) will wake the printer up. Even to connect via Webinterfac the printer is not responding. Ping also Fails.

Tried to connect the printer to another Printer Switch Port/ wall plug changed network cables nothing worked.

The only solution is to hard reset the printer (power off/on) to get the printer working again.

Played around with the EcoSmart configuration but doesn't matter what is selected there its always the same that the printer stuck in Sleep/standby mode and won't responde.

Is there somewhere the old FIrmware to be downloaded to try a downgrade if this would help?

I really don't think there is anythink else I could try.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

just to confirm the latest Firmware Update has solved the issue

if I remember correctly it where someday in December when it came out

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi @rsprebitz ,

I see that you are experiencing issues with the printer not waking up after doing a firmware update. I would like to help.

Unfortunately there won't be any older firmware versions to set the printer back to.

Setup a static IP for the printer. This way the router will always assign the same IP address to the printer.

Printer Does Not Maintain a Wireless Connection.

Disregard the title. Go to Solution three: Assign the printer an automatic static IP address.

It may not be the printer, it may be your router's inability to wake the printer. Could have been a automatic update on the router also.
What router are you using?
Can you get into its settings?
If you can then look for and enable "Multicasting".
If not you will have to contact the router company.

Power cycle the router.

Try temporarily disabling the firewall. If the problem persists, the firewall is not the source of the communication
problem. Re-enable the firewall.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have a m251n that does exactly the same, its only a week old. The display says "Standby mode" but cannot be woken by a quick press of the power button, by the control panel on the top, or by LAN. I have to hold the power button, till it turns off then turn it back on again.

I also took the latest firmware update, seems like that might have been a bad idea!

My printer already has a Static IP address, what could be the problem?

Plasma

HP Recommended

Hi @__Plasma__ ,

I see that you are also experiencing the same issue, that the printer won't wake up over the network. I would like to help you out today.

I was checking the control panel menu structure and came across one for the wake up events for this model. The older models don't have this option. Go to the Setup Menu, System Setup, Energy Settings, Auto Power Down, then Wake Events. Enable them all.

• USB Job
  • LAN Job
  • Wireless Job
  • Control Panel Touch

If the issue persists, turn off the IPv6 on the printer to see if that will help.

Go to the Setup Menu, Network Setup, Network Services, Pv6 and turn it off.

Is the Ethernet cable connected directly to a router or a switch?

Do you have a dual band router?
If it is set to 5 GHZ network you may need to change to 2.4 GHZ. (rename the 5ghz or shut it off)
The WPA key setting needs to be on AES to work correctly not TKIP.

Multi casting needs to be turned on.

If you are not sure how to check these settings, you could contact the router company.

What network setup do you have? (Modem/Router/2 Routers/Booster/Airport/Switch)

Please let me know the results. :generic:

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
I don't think my network set up has anything to do with it. The printer refuses to wake even by the power button, or pressing the buttons on the top panel. It's completely unresponsive, and shows as unrecognised USB device to the laptop it is connected to.

I've checked all the wake for events and all are checked. But as I say the printer locked up and refuses to do anything. The only way out is to hold the power button or pull / replace the power cord and turn it back on.

Plasma
HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that information __Plasma__.

If the printer is also networked, please turn the IPv6 off on the printer.

I can send you a reset for the printer in a private message to try.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

we are on a comany network and I guess our network won't be the problem (cisco switches for our printer lan)

in the meantime we replaced the HP Printer with a small xerox printer as we still have warranty we might give it back to vendor.

I don't think there is any issue related with network settings if none of the wake up events are working.

Bad Firmware I would call it.

HP Recommended

I would agree I think its bad firmware, I only noticed this after I took the "20140521" firmware update. As my printer is only a week old I have requested an exchange from my supplier, hopefully the replacement will be on the old firmware and I will not be updating it.

I tried the "Reset Defaults" from the control panel and also the NVRAM reset sent to me in private message, the printer is wired to the network and also has a static IP. This didn't help, neither did turning off IPv6. However if turning off IPv6 had fixed it, it would still mean there are bugs in the firmware as IPv6 is an advertised feature and if I wanted to use it turning it off would be an unacceptable fix.

Fingers crossed my new printer doesnt have the same bug!

Plasma

HP Recommended

I have a HP LaserJet 200 color MFP M276 PCL 6.

Works great until it goes to standby.  After it goes to standby, after a number of hours the LCD screen lights on its own. But when lit this way it is not responsive at all. Not even tapping on the LCD touch screen will wake it up.  I must power cycle the printer to get it going.  When in this state it cannot even be pinged, and it cannot print. It's like its CPU froze...!

This is like having a computer that when it goes to sleep, it has to be power cycled to wake it up.

I have other printers on the same type of setup and there are no faults.

--

Another question...  When I do color prints I find the black or dark portions of the picture a bit too dark. This is like as if the black levels are slightly too far down, or a bit too low.

Thanks!

Jerry G.

HP Recommended

Hi __Plasma__,

I was wondering how you made out with the replacement printer.

Please let us know if you are still having any issues with the printer waking up.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.