Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Surface Book 2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a new router for my wifi, so I had to update my Color LaserJet N253nw’s wireless connection.

The printer works when connected through USB. But I’ve spent 3 hours in vain trying to connect it to the wireless.

• The HP website said that I should just update the wifi settings in HP Smart. Sounds easy, but the buttons the website mentioned weren't there.
  • The WPS doesn’t work. It won’t accept the code.
  • The link to download the driver from the website doesn’t work.
  • I’ve used HP Print and Scan Doctor twice. It downloads the driver (download time is 20 MINUTES. It should be 10 seconds with my connection) and says the printer is now ready to print. But still, the printer doesn’t show up in my installed devices.
  • I’ve tried uninstalling the previous installation.
  • I’ve restarted the printer and my PC several times.
  • When I try to add the printer as a device in my Windows 10 Control Panel, it doesn’t show up in the list of printers to add. Even though HP Print and Scan Doctor says that everything is working.

Does anybody have any suggestions about how to proceed?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Water12

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Make sure you connect your Windows device and the printer to the same wireless network.
  • Also, Verify that the network/ethernet cable is not connected.
  • Do you have any Anti-virus software installed?

Step 1: Restart your network devices

1. Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer/ mobile devices.
  2. Wait for 60 seconds.
  3. Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
  4. Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
  5. Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.

Step 2: Restore the network settings and re-connect the printer

1. From the Home screen on the printer control panel, swipe until the Setup menu displays. Touch the Setup icon to open the menu.
  2. Go to Network > Wireless > restore settings.
  3. Once done, connect the printer to the wireless network again.

Step 3: Access the EWS page of the printer to check the connectivity

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  2. Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  3. If you get any security notification, click on show details and 'proceed to this website'.
  4. Try to print a test page.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307, thank you so much for your suggestion.

Unfortunately, this isn’t a standard “set up wireless” problem.

My computer can easily see the printer on my wireless network. Both before and after I try to make wireless printing possible.

I can easily install the driver and set it up for USB connection.

But whenever I try to set it up for wireless, this happens:

I double click the downloaded driver. I do as the installation window says (remove the USB cable and click the right buttons.) Then the installation window says that all is well. It says that the installation was a success, and now I have wireless printing through my wifi.

But this is not what has happened. Instead, the driver has been deleted from my PC. In the Windows Control Panel, the printer is visible on the network, but Control Panel says “No driver available” (Or something like that. I’m translating from Danish.) And I can no longer print or open the hp printer app. The driver is gone.

I have now done this a number of times. I have used both the “Full Software Solution” driver and the “Basic Software Solution” driver. The result is the same.

There must be some disagreement between my computer and the driver installation program.

I use a fully updated Win10 64bit. My only antivirus program is the standard Windows Defender Firewall.

Thank you for any help,

Water12

HP Recommended

@Water12

• Try installing the printer using Windows built-in drivers and check if that helps. Refer to this document to know how.
  • If the built-in drivers do not help, try installing HP Smart app again. Click here for more info on HP Smart.
  • Check for any pending Windows update on your PC.
  • Also, did you try step 3 mentioned in my previous post? Are you able to print from the EWS page of the printer wirelessly?

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, Kumar0307, 😊

I'm abroad, the next month. When I return, I’ll try your suggestions.

All the best from,

Water12

HP Recommended

@Water12

Sure, You can try these steps when it is convenient for you. keep me posted if you need any other assistance. Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.