Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet 1020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having ALL the same problems as per:-

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Laserjet-1020-won-t-print-from-Windows10-HP-assistan...

I have tried ALL this. None of it works.

I have deleted/reinstalled countless times. Tried the 'doctor', which always goes through the whole diagnostic journey and reports all-green-ticks. Turned it off and on again. Tried all combinations of these.

Basically, Windows 10 shows the printer as active, and yet there's only a 1-in-10 chance that when I print it actually does anything. Usually it just sits there with the document in the queue.

Sometimes, when I uninstall everything, turn the printer off, and then reboot Win10 and then turn the printer ON it MAY print ONCE if I'm lucky. Then next time, nothing.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@TrevorML

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that the print job is stuck in the queue you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

Uninstall the printer software and install the printer with windows built in drivers.

Watch this YouTube video to uninstall the printer software.

You can also refer this document for more steps.

Install the printer with windows builtin driver.

You can refer this YouTube video to install the printer.

For more steps refer this HP Document.

If the issue still persists, 

Click here and try the steps mentioned in this HP document to fix this issue.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Like I said in my original email I've done ALL this. Again and again.

I'm a techie by profession and know how to trouble-shoot and un-install/re-boot/re-install.

And at the end, the truth seems to be this. Windows 10 does not maintain a communication with the LJ1020 that enables uninterrupted use over reboots. It used to (earlier versions of W10 seemed OK) but currently (and yes, I have the latest builds) it doesn't. Simple really. It should work, but it doesn't.

Someone needs to say "Y'know what, it's OUR bit of the journey that's busted and WE'LL fix it". But of course no-one does - because it's always the other guy at fault.

Oh and one last thing. You have a 'thumbs UP' button, but no 'thumbs DOWN'' equivalent. Hmmm. Wonder why that is?

HP Recommended

Hello, @TrevorML

I see that you were interacting with @sandytechy20. He is out of office and I'm here to help 🙂

You mentioned that the documents are sitting in the print queue. Did you try to restart the print spooler? 

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.

If that does not help, try using the universal printer drivers: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/hp-universal-print-driver-series-for-windows/model/4157320

Hope that helps! Let me know!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, which I appreciate.

The official advice is to let Windows 10 drivers do the work, but I decided to give your suggestion a go and installed the Universal (5-year old) driver.
No luck here - the doc stays in the Queue and doesn't print.
I tried restarting the Print Spooler - twice - again no luck.
So I uninstalled the drivers.

The *only* way I can get the LJ 1020 to print is as follows:-
1) Start Win10 with the LJ 1020 OFF and not installed on the machine
2) Once booted, turn the LJ1020 ON. Win 10 discovers the printer and installs using its own drivers. At THIS point (and this point ONLY) it will print.
3) Once I've finished printing, turn the LJ1020 OFF and manually REMOVE the printer from Win10 before shutting down.

So what does this prove? Well, it shows that the printer DOES work, and Win 10 is theoretically capable of printing to it. But it ain't pretty!

HP Recommended

Hello, @TrevorML

I am afraid that's all we got at the moment. 

Please contact the HP phone support to get further assistance on this issue.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I’ll do my best to help!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

So it's the 'Help' desk now, is it? An oxymoron if there ever was one.

I guess we're both out of ideas if it's come to this.

Why don't I just cut out the middle man and re-install Windows, buy a new printer, move house, etc,...

HP Recommended

@TrevorML

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region. Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.