Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet M1217nfw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have seen a couple of other posters on this board having trouble getting the laserjet M1217 drivers to work with Windows 10:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Installing-Laserjet-M1217-nfw-drivers/m-p...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/HP-M1217MFP-Driver-Always-Fails-to-Comple...

I have confirmed that the W10 drivers executable for the M1217 does download from HP's site, but the installation never completes correctly. I think this may be a driver issue with the latest version of W10.

My M1217nfw printer works fine with an older version of W10 (64 bit, Home, v1803). However I am unable to get it working properly on my new W10 machine (64 bit, Enterprise v1809).

On the new W10 v1809 machine I am able to manually install the drivers by browsing to this folder on my PC which is created by the executable install package:
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpm1210.inf_amd64_55cf96b3893cb6ca
However, once I install the drivers they cause various errors: "Function Address 0x80072c5c caused a protection fault. Some or all property pages may not be displayed."
I have the printer partially working using a generic Microsoft print driver, but have lost some key features, since this driver is not as fully featured as the HP one. Per this page the full HP driver should work with Windows 10:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04658195#Install_driver_from_HP_website

Can you please help?

Best regards,

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bpc135798642

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer is not in the list, turn it off and on and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

6. Try to print.

If the issue persists, I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

Remove the USB if connected

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m1217nfw-multifunction-printer-seri... to download and install the Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Try to print.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@bpc135798642

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try this:

Click the Start button on the desktop screen and type %temp% into the search bar, then open the shown Temp folder.
Open the latest HP installation folder which begins with 7z (e.g. 7zS1234)
Double click HpSetup.exe

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

I had tried running the download package several times before and it fails every time. When I follow your specific instructions below I get the following error: "Configuration Failure. Unable to continue." I also tried Run as administrator but the results are the same.

Thanks for your help - I can't use the the scan or manual duplexing functions with the generic driver I am using as a workaround.

Best regards

Ben

HP Recommended

You can scan using one of the below methods:

• HP Scan and Capture app (Windows 10, 😎: Scan documents or photos from the printer or webcam. A full feature print driver must be installed on the computer. For more information, go to Using the HP Scan and Capture App (Windows 8 and 10).

• Windows Scan app (Windows 10, 😎: Search the Microsoft Store for windows scan to find and install this app.

• Microsoft Paint (All Windows versions): Search Windows for paint, and then open the Paint desktop app. Click File or the menu icon  , and then click From scanner or camera.

• Windows Fax and Scan (All Windows versions): Search Windows for fax to open the desktop app, and then click New Scan.

• Webscan utility (network printers): Obtain the printer IP address and use it to open the printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS) in a web browser. On your printer's website, click Webscan on the Scan tab.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

The first three methods you suggest require a working print driver, which is the thing I do not have! When I log onto the printer's web server, there is no option for a web scan.

I am looking for a working Windows 10 driver for my printer. The drivers and installation packages from HP do not work with the latest release of W10. 

Thank you!

Ben

HP Recommended

If you have installed the Windows built-in driver then you can use the one the above methods to scan: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

I followed the instructions at the link you sent, uninstalled the printer and resintalled. No scan options are available in Windows as the instructions indicate there should be. There are also no options for manual duplexing, just regular printing. 

Here are the details of the driver that W10 installs. Is there another generic driver that will work? 

Best regards

Ben

Device SWD\PRINTENUM\{429AC5F9-3815-4BC7-A82E-F119B086C58B} was configured.

Driver Name: printqueue.inf
Class Guid: {1ed2bbf9-11f0-4084-b21f-ad83a8e6dcdc}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.17763.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: NO_DRV_LOCAL
Driver Rank: 0x0
Matching Device Id: PRINTENUM\LocalPrintQueue
Outranked Drivers: c_swdevice.inf:SWD\GenericRaw:00FF3001
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: SWD\PRINTENUM\WSD-cfe00ad5-cd53-4616-9c95-300ae36e30e9

HP Recommended

@bpc135798642

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer is not in the list, turn it off and on and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

6. Try to print.

If the issue persists, I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

Remove the USB if connected

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m1217nfw-multifunction-printer-seri... to download and install the Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Try to print.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj,

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Ultimately they were unsuccessful. Here's what I did and the results I got:

I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor from the ftp link you sent. The utility finds the printer running on the generic Microsoft driver (details in my previous post):HP1.png

The utility states it is unable to communicate with my printer (not unexpected since I am using a generic driver), and to click Retry for a more advance search. This brings up the following:

HP2.png

In the screenshot above, you can see the actual printer on my LAN, but with no drivers installed. When I try to connect to this printer I get the following:

HP3.png

This just gives me a link the same driver download page that you did:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-LaserJet-Pro-M1217nfw-Multifunction-Printer-seri...

I know this driver package fails to install, since this is the very first thing I did when trying to install the printer on my new PC!

Next I followed your instructions to uninstall everything. I removed the following Apps:

HP4.png

I removed the following HP drivers and the generic MS driver I was using:

HP5.png

Next I went to the link you provided:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-LaserJet-Pro-M1217nfw-Multifunction-Printer-seri...

I download the installation package, ran it and this is all that happens:

HP6.png

Once the package extracts, it fails somewhere and I have no printer installed!

This is exactly the initial problem I had, and other posters on this board have had. Please see my original post for details. Thanks again for your help so far, but what do I try next?

Best regards,

Ben

HP Recommended

@bpc135798642

Appreciate all your time and efforts!

I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support for further assistance. 

Click here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

Make sure you select the Country and Region.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.