Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Dell Precision M2800
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My laptop is no longer communicating with my HP LaserJet MFP M29w printer. I am able to print from other devices (smart phone, ipad) so I know the printer is connected to my home network. The only way I can print from the laptop is by hardwiring the connection. This all just happened out of the blue. The HP Print Scan Dr. does not connect, but it sees the printer.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, Naplesesp! Same problem with my Laser Jet M281fdw. Printer connection in a Wi-Fi LAN of Apple Mac computers has stopped working, with no reason. The printer is OK, it prints fine from Direct Wi-Fi, HP ePrint, etc.. I have re-installed the printer software several times, from Apple computers with different MacOS releases (High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina), updated the printer firmware two times (version currently installed: 16 July 2019), checked LAN operation and updated Bonjour, but... no results!. Furthermore, I did not get any support from HP for this issue in a MacOS environment. HP drivers look not fully consistent with recent MacOS releases, the scan software works same way (unstable connection) in MacOS environment , all the articles found so far give suggestions to address similar issues only in a Windows environment. How can this be possible? I have invested money in a good printer to have no issues like these, and find myself with a useless printer and apparently no way to escape from this situation! Anyone can help, please? Thanks!

HP Recommended

@naplesesp, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network. 
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Print a configuration page to determine the SSID:

a. Press and hold the Start Copy button until the Ready light begins blinking.

b. Release the Start Copy button.

c. Compare the service set identifier (SSID) on the configuration report to the SSID in the printer configuration for the computer

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@NoNameGuy

Kindly perform the steps mentioned in my previous post and check if that helps.

You may also try restarting the network devices

1. Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer/ mobile devices.
  2. Wait for 60 seconds.
  3. Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
  4. Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
  5. Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Kumar, after spending hours and hours trying to reconnect my M281 to the LAN, by following the steps you have suggested, I must acknowledge that... I have been defeated. Let us begin by saying that getting the ISP to provide 2 different network names for the bands of my dual-band router is not feasible. This service is not provided, at least in Italy. Furthermore, I have monitored the band used by my printer through the router interface, and it is the right one, namely 2.4 GHz. I remember I "forced" the printer to use this band during one of my multiple installations. I have made so many attempts to reinstall the printer using a MacBook Air with High Sierra 10.13.6 that my conclusion is... either this printer is not really MacOS compatible (at least with the most recent MacOS releases, since the situation with Mojave and Catalina looks even worse) or the HP drivers' quality for recent MacOS releases is really poor. In the end, after the investment made to buy a printer that should have granted me a fault-proof daily usage, I have a device that now works with Hpeprint (!, you have to accepts to print a sheet at a time, to get double-sided printouts) but it is not reachable by the wireless devices (all of them are Apple's computers/tablets/iPhones) in my LAN. Note that I performed the printer installation MANY times and  found (not surprisingly) that connection troubles happen even when the Easy Start application is doing its job to finalise the installation. I have got so many different messages reporting such a large amount of "non-sense" issues, all of them clearly due to the fact that the printer is not visible in the LAN... or at least, it has been visible one or two times, at the very beginning of this situation, and "lost" the connection shortly afterwards, without any reasonable explanation, since no changes had been applied to the network configuration, nor the power to the router had been stopped for any reason... I would therefore very grateful if you could jot down for me a limited number of VERY EASY steps to reset the printer configuration once again, so that I can perform my last attempt to have this printer back in my LAN, since I can no longer spend time to repeat the installation every 1-2 weeks, particularly when it seems that it is no longer possible to conclude it successfully. Thanks in advance for the help provided!

HP Recommended

@NoNameGuy

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.

I would request you to contact them for further assistance.

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks. I'll let you know.

HP Recommended

@NoNameGuy, Sure, keep us posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.