Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet Pro M451dn
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

We have three computers that appear to be running the same setup.  The problem happens with Microsoft Publisher as follows:

- On two computers, when specific documents are called up, they work fine and print fine

- One one computer, when the specific documents are called up, we get the error: "Load Fonts - The font information below shows what fonts are embedded in your publication or are unavailable - Goudy/Unknown/Unavailable & Goudy ExraBold/Unknown/Unavailable.

I've checked all computers and confirmed that the same TTF are installed, even copying the goudy fonts from one computer to the other to ensure they are the same.  

When I go into one of the computers that work and look at the "commercial fonts" section in Microsoft Publisher, it tells me that:

font=Goudy

font type=Printer

Font source=system

font=Goudy ExtraBold

font type=printer

font source=system

I've tried installing the newest drivers for the Laserjet Pro M451dn, but the fonts still aren't available. I've got no idea about how the printer vs. TTF fonts work. If it was a TTF, I'd simply copy it over, but I don't know how to fix this one computer to have access to these printer fonts.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>> ... the fonts I'm looking for are listed as "Additional PS emulation fonts" for a different model printer.  When a non-PS driver is being used, can the driver still access these fonts ...

i don't know for certain, but I'd imagine that these "Additional PS emulation fonts" can probably only be used if you are using a PostScript printer driver.

If you are using a PCL5 or PCL6 (PCL XL) printer driver, then these fonts probably can't be accessed.

EDIT: I've found an online source for one of these fonts PS_12542.ttf (= Goudy), and it does appear to be a valid TrueType font which (in theory) could probably be used by other drivers.

But this font has a "restricted" licence, which means that it can't be embedded in documents:

Capturec4.PNG

it's possible (probable? - I don't know) that standard printer drivers and support routines will not allow you to use this font as a 'source' for a temporary downloaded 'soft' font.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I don't know the answer (I don't use Publisher), but I would have thought that this application (like other Office-type applications) should be able to use any valid TrueType/OpenType font which is correctly installed in the Windows Fonts folder.

I did come across a comment somewhere which suggested that the Windows fonts are available in Print Publication view, but that there is only a restricted set available in Web Design view - I've no idea whether or not this is relevant.

HP Recommended

Hi dansdaduk,

I think one of the problems is as shown in the inormation above this is a printer font.  If it was a truetrype, I could simply copy it. I'm trying to find out how to make this printer font available to this one PC.  The other two PCs are the same model, OS, software, print drivers, etc.  I don't understand why this one is listed as a printer font and how to make it available on this one computer.  If you can help with any information, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

HP Recommended

As I don't use Publisher, I have no idea of the significance (or otherwise) of the references to "font type=Printer" and "Font source=system" in this context.

Goudy is not one of the standard typefaces available as printer-resident fonts on the current generation of LaserJet printers.

What normally happens when a source document makes use of an installed TrueType font (such as Goudy), which does not have a printer-resident equivalent, is that the source application, in conjunction with the printer driver, dynamically generates and downloads (in the print stream) a printer-format soft font equivalent of (a subset of) the installed TrueType font.

HP Recommended

I think that helps narrow down my troubleshooting some.  Thanks. 

My working premise since I do not have a clue about MS Publisher and these font issues was that the problem is some issue with the application accessing internal printer fonts. If these are not internal printer fonts which is what it seeemed like the error was indicating, it must be an issue with either Publisher or some corruption that is making the program think that these fonts are printer fonts.

Two additional question that you might be able to answer though:

I can't find any truetype fonts installed called just Goudy or Goudy ExtraBold in the fonts folder of any of the computers.  Is it possible that the computers that have access to these two fonts are somehow ??pulling?? them from an inactive, unused, or obsolete driver that is on the other computers? 

A quick google search finds the following HP document, the fonts I'm looking for are listed as "Additional PS emulation fonts" for a different model printer.  When a non-PS driver is being used, can the driver still access these fonts or is the HP driver smart enough to switch over to the PS driver if a PS font is being used in the document?

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01855758&sp4ts.oid=3815811

Thanks,

Jeff

HP Recommended

>> ... can't find any truetype fonts installed called just Goudy or Goudy ExtraBold in the fonts folder ...

If you view the Windows Fonts folder using the standard File Explorer application, this treats the folder as a 'special' folder, and will show the contents of the folder in terms of the font names (which are properties of the fonts themselves, embedded in the TrueType file structure); for example:

Capturec2.PNG

If you view the same folder using the standard command-prompt application, this  will show the contents of the folder in terms of the font file names; for example:

Capturec3.PNG

... and if you want to see the 'mapping' between font name and font file name, look in the registry; for example:

Capturec1.PNG

HP Recommended

>> ... the fonts I'm looking for are listed as "Additional PS emulation fonts" for a different model printer.  When a non-PS driver is being used, can the driver still access these fonts ...

i don't know for certain, but I'd imagine that these "Additional PS emulation fonts" can probably only be used if you are using a PostScript printer driver.

If you are using a PCL5 or PCL6 (PCL XL) printer driver, then these fonts probably can't be accessed.

EDIT: I've found an online source for one of these fonts PS_12542.ttf (= Goudy), and it does appear to be a valid TrueType font which (in theory) could probably be used by other drivers.

But this font has a "restricted" licence, which means that it can't be embedded in documents:

Capturec4.PNG

it's possible (probable? - I don't know) that standard printer drivers and support routines will not allow you to use this font as a 'source' for a temporary downloaded 'soft' font.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. Since I have this working on two separate computers without a flaw and it's the one "odd" computer where it doesn't work, I guess I now just have to figure out what in the configuration of the other two computers allows this to work.  You've given me GREAT information.

Thanks,

Jeff

HP Recommended

Glad to have been of assistance.

Let us know if and when you eventually find the reason for the oddity.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.