cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dovamp
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post

Inconsistent scroll directions of Synaptic touchpad

HP Recommended
OMEN
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

Couple days ago, I upgraded my omen gaming laptop to Windows 10. 

I used HP assistant app to update all drivers to the latest, as well.

However, I found that two-finger scrolling on my touchpad does not work as I want. 

Basically, I want scrolling directions scroll to be the same as I use an old-fashioned mouse wheel, that is swipe down = scroll down.

I found default setting of Synaptics driver right after all upgrading process was "reversed scroll". 

I managed to change the setting using mouse control panel, which only works for old style windows apps. 

No matter how I set the direction in the control panel, scroll direction is reversed in new "universal" apps, including Edge browser, default photo viewer, and most importantly start menu. 

This drives me crazy.

I have a lenovo laptop and a Macbook, both running Windows 10. They all works fine with reversing scroll directions in all apps. 

I know my Lenovo thinkpad uses Synaptics driver as well, so I'm blaming HP on providing flawed driver. 

I really wish HP would provide a updated touchpad driver that support scrolling direction option completely.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @dovamp,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP OMEN Notebook not keeping the scroll options in Windows 10. I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults.You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. That way it will look at the Hardware installed on the Notebook and has helped others.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,583 30,490 2,787 6,735
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@dovamp:

What some folks have reported is that, by going into the BIOS settings, under the Main tab, by changing the Advanced setting to Basic, their functionality returned.

If that is not the same for your BIOS settings, or if it does not work, you could try using touchpad drivers from Synaptic site: http://www.synaptics.com/en/drivers.php
Note the comment on the page to set a Restore Point before trying any of these drivers.

Here's a link to the TenForums webpage where you can download the drivers and read about the results of using those drivers with HP machines: http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/18282-latest-synaptics-touchpad-driver-windows-10-a.html

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
dovamp
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tried reloading default BIOS settings, but didn't help. 

Tried reinstalling synaptics driver after BIOS reloading, didn't work neither.

It's so frustrating...

0 Kudos
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @dovamp,

Try this download sp72295.exe.

Restart the Notebook after it is done.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
dovamp
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@WAWood wrote:

@dovamp:

What some folks have reported is that, by going into the BIOS settings, under the Main tab, by changing the Advanced setting to Basic, their functionality returned.

If that is not the same for your BIOS settings, or if it does not work, you could try using touchpad drivers from Synaptic site: http://www.synaptics.com/en/drivers.php
Note the comment on the page to set a Restore Point before trying any of these drivers.

Here's a link to the TenForums webpage where you can download the drivers and read about the results of using those drivers with HP machines: http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/18282-latest-synaptics-touchpad-driver-windows-10-a.html

Good Luck

Thanks for your answer.

However, unfortunately, the vanilla synaptics driver didn't work for me. 

I think the driver is not compatible with omen laptop, since it didn't give any kinds of basic functionalities nor dedicated control panel menus. (none of tap, swipe. or gesture worked).

0 Kudos
dovamp
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mrstenter wrote:

Hey @dovamp,

Try this download sp72295.exe.

Restart the Notebook after it is done.

Thanks.

That was exactly what I have installed, right after upgrading to Win 10, which, as I describe above, only provided poor, inconsistent experience on two-finger scrolling, and eventually made me frustrated.

You said in your previous answer that restoring BIOS default have had helped some people.

Could you help me find these people, so that I can try what they had done besides of BIOS restoration? Maybe some links to relevant threads or so?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,583 30,490 2,787 6,735
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@dovamp: Here's a link to a thread from the Win10 forums, the info you want is on the second page:  http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/8028-synaptics-touchpad-will-not-scroll-windows-10-a.html

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
austinpike
1 1 0 1
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't think any of these "solutions" are understanding the issue. This is not a matter of the touchpad not working. I don't see anything related to reverse scolling in the thread linked above.

- The current synaptics control panel defaults to "enable reverse scrolling"

- Many people prefer to turn that off, so that scrolling works the way it always used to.

- Most apps (Explorer browser) respect that setting.

- Windows 10-specific apps (Edge browser) ignore the setting and continue to reverse scroll.

I have this behavior on an HP Spectre x360. It is unclear whether this is an HP issue, a Synaptics issue, or a Win10 issue.

I also have a Lenovo with WIn10 and a Synaptics touchpad, and un-checking reverse scrolling works as expected in all apps (including Edge) on that machine. Although the control panel is different as it has Lenovo-specific Trackpoint settings.

dovamp
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yep, exactly!

My Lenovo works perfectly, as well as my wife's Macbook (on Bootcamp) does!  Hence I believe this is HP issue.

Did dev team already recognize this issue? Or someone at HP side could please just report this to the dev team?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation