Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Technically, Musicpos, you are correct - all the extra detail was not necessary - if you are an system user.  For the folks who may need a little more detail, I was merely offering that detail, as well as some cleanup before and preventive maintenance after. 
The main point to this whole thread is that the initially installed AMD drivers are a "lite" version and need to be replaced, the AMD drivers are good, the drivers that Windows Update installs are bad, and they keep overwriting the good AMD drivers.  So, however you want to present that to the masses is fine with me.

HP Recommended

To be clear, Sjn60, all the evidence points to the fact that the AMD drivers - the current replacement drivers  - are good.  The initial ones were "lite" and perhaps broken.  The Windows Update drivers (which are not AMD) are bad.  And every time that Windows Update comes along and mucks with installing new software -- usually automatically -- they overwrite the good AMD drivers with bad Windows/Realtek drivers. 
I'm glad you reported it to AMD - at least somebody is getting the idea.  But it seems to me that AMD, Realtek and Microsoft have to come to agreement on which drivers to install and how to do that so that they don't keep getting overwritten by bad ones.  Now, if AMD can get Microsoft, Realtek, and anybody else wired in, we may have a real fix and not just a patch.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Orvy. You are completely right. If I could only forward this thread with your messages to the HP engineers who are trying to fix my computer in Texas that would be helpful. I am afraid they are clueless....

HP Recommended

I also have an open ticket with AMD and am keeping them updated on what's going on, referencing this thread. FWIW I reinstalled Windows and AMD drivers on 9/2 and so far no drivers have been overwritten, and I have not had the audio failures. Still in wait-and-see mode.

HP Recommended

Hey everyone... status update. Haven't had any issues whatsoever since 9/8 when we paused the Windows updates- things are looking good so far.

It sounds like Mmac05 did not disable his updates (?) and hasn't had his Adrenaline drivers overwritten by Windows yet so I'm interested to see how that goes in the coming days. Musicpos has also posted some really great info (9/14 8:52am) on how we can selectively ignore the specific update that is causing the issue, I'm going to give that a try soon and will report back.

More than anything though, I have to say how impressed I am by the huge progress we've made in this thread. We had zero information on day one and have now managed to identify, isolate, and temp-fix this maaaaaajor issue through peer collaboration alone. I'm sure it happens all the time here but it's been interesting watching it unfold. I think the end is near; I feel bad for the poor souls that haven't found their way in here yet hahah.

HP Recommended

I have just received back the laptop form HP. In their 3-line report they say:

- Replaced Part (SSD)

- Reinstalled OS

- Performed Extensive Testing

I am 100% sure I will have the same problem again. The IT people at HP seem totally clueless.

As soon as I encounter a problem (probably next time I use zoom video) I will follow Blyat's instructions for stopping windows updates. The problem is that that's a temporary fix and neither AMD nor HP seem interested or willing to solve this problem.

HP Recommended

Update after a long time feeling busy, but sort of seeing these posts! I have been borrowing a different laptop for work, because my HP Envy was not usable and I have not had the time to devote to troubleshooting anymore. I did have multiple calls and live chats with HP and, after asking for the problem to be escalated, I was told to send the laptop in for repairs. I am actually concerned about whether or not this will work, given what I'm seeing from other people's experiences. My experiences with HP so far lead me to be concerned they will just open it, test audio, see that it works, then ship it on back!

I am not sure I'm tech savvy enough to follow the instructions around pausing updates or making sure I have specific drivers, etc. (It's tricky for me to even understand the thread!) I'll probably think about it and read the threads in some more detail and then make a decision about whether to try sending in the laptop or get it back out and try the steps recommended in this group. Thanks for all the time people are spending communicating! 🙂

HP Recommended

The AMD fix did not work. Failed several times while working with kids. Other teachers with HP Elitebooks are experiencing similar issue. They have Intel i5 computers, which makes me think heat is the issue?

HP Recommended

Do I download AMD, knowing that my card is NVIDIA?

HP Recommended

After 3 long conversations with tech support and trying everything, and after sending the laptop for repair I am still experiencing the same issues... What they did was to replace the SSD, reinstall the OS, and "perform extensive testing" (it probably didn't include trying zoom video). I got the laptop back yesterday and today I run into the same problem only 10 seconds after connecting to zoom. What is worst, before connecting to zoom I run into an additional problem. The laptop was hibernating and after opening the lid and running the browser, it froze and I had to restart it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.