Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy G62
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks,

I've just got an external mic headset for dictation work - not a full headset with headphones, just a simple no-name mic.

When I plug it into the headset jack socket (there is only the one jack socket) I get a Bang & Olufsen message acknowledging that I've plugged in a device. However, on going to the Sound settings in the Control Manager, Win 10 says there's nothing plugged in the jack socket.

Do I need some sort of adapter, as the socket is intended for a full headset and not just a mic? I've hunted high and low for a straight answer with no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK then I gotta walk it back...you do have one of the newer models with a single port and yes on those the only kind of mic that works is one connected to a headset. The plug is different on those with a different configuration of the rings around the tip of the jack. Standard mic only device does not make an internal electrical connection. 

Post back with any more questions but please Accept as Solution if this is the answer you needed, even if not the one you wanted. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

There is no Envy G62. Its an older "HP" model and this is the Manual:

Manual

See p. 12. Like most older laptops it has a mic in jack and a headphone out jack. Newer laptops combine them into a single jack and for those you do need a headset to get mic input. Yours should work with the microphone only device. Likely Windows 10 has loaded a generic defeatured audio driver. I think the G62 came in Intel and AMD versions and the audio chip would be different so we need the full model number or product number. Also look in device manager and see what it is showing for the audio device...specific like Realtek or generic like just HD audio? 

HP Recommended

My apologies - it is an Envy but it's a 17- n062na. It only has one jack socket, at the left side near the back. It's Realtek audio and Intel Core i5.

HP Recommended

OK then I gotta walk it back...you do have one of the newer models with a single port and yes on those the only kind of mic that works is one connected to a headset. The plug is different on those with a different configuration of the rings around the tip of the jack. Standard mic only device does not make an internal electrical connection. 

Post back with any more questions but please Accept as Solution if this is the answer you needed, even if not the one you wanted. 

HP Recommended

Thank you. Is there no sort of adapter I can get to use just the mic with this please?

HP Recommended

Yeah like this. If you get a splitter it will allow just the mic to work:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/929113/StarTechcom-Headset-adapter-for-headsets-with/?cm_mmc=...

HP Recommended

That's brilliant - thank you so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.