Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an older HP Spectre x360 15-BL012DX. For several years I have been experiencing a problem that I assumed was a hardware issue but I finally discovered today that it is a software issue. I suspect that it is the audio driver at fault. As a result, I am looking for a newer audio driver than what is available on the download page for this laptop.

Let me give some details...

The issue is that when I play audio at very low volume, everything is fine. As I increase the volume, the left speaker will repeatedly completely cut off. After several seconds, it may come back on again momentarily, then cut out again.

Note that even after a clean install of Windows this still happens. This feels very much like a component that is failing due to heat, shuts down, as it cools, it comes back on line, and the process repeats.

Today I was simply doing some experimentation. I ran the following commands:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:e:\sources\install.wim
sfc /scannow

NOTE: In the first command above E: is a mounted Windows ISO image. The SFC command is the Windows System File Checker utility that looks for corrupt Windows files.

The result was that Windows did find some corrupt files and applied fixes.

Immediately after this, I noticed that my left speaker issue was completely resolved. Again, note that this issue happens even after a clean install of Windows. So, my conclusion is that the audio driver must be stepping on one or more Windows files.

I have been using the latest driver available on the download page for this system, but, of course, that is several years old.

After several years, it is nice to have a solution, but would still like to have an audio driver that actually worked right out of the box. 

Are there any newer drivers than what is available on the download page for this model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try some of the drivers from the slightly newer HP Spectre x360 15-BL100 model series.  There are 10 different audio driver versions.

HP Spectre 15-bl100 x360 Convertible PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try some of the drivers from the slightly newer HP Spectre x360 15-BL100 model series.  There are 10 different audio driver versions.

HP Spectre 15-bl100 x360 Convertible PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that.

I know that my laptop is an older model. but I still find it annoying that on a Premium laptop I cannot even get drivers from the download page that support current versions of the very OS the laptop shipped with.

There are other issues as well. For example, the latest BIOS update for the system posted in the downloads for the system cannot be installed. It appears to be an invalid BIOS update. I had an HP person responding to me on a thread regarding that issue, they were going to get back to me, then simply refused to respond any further.

Highly disappointing.

I used to purchase a new laptop every six months, this is actually the longest I've ever owned a laptop because I really like this model, I simply cannot afford to replace like that any longer, but I'm starting to question the wisdom of holding onto a laptop long-term now considering the poor support.

Now, to be fair, I did also have a problem with a swollen battery (all cells in the battery had become swollen) and HP did replace it for free even though the system was already out of warranty at that time.

Also, brand new out of the box, this unit had a problem where USB-C cables, including the power supply that shipped with the unit. would not stay seated in the laptop USB-C connectors. The slightest touch would knock them out. I had to ship the laptop to HP for repair of that issue. So, I've certainly had my share of issues with this laptop. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I've read several horror stories about the Spectre notebooks and it is a shame because they are very expensive to have things like the motherboard fail after less than 2 years, which was a common problem.

Just do a search 'HP Spectre burned motherboard.'

The battery swelling is a commonplace problem with that model series as well.

HP Recommended

Thanks again, Paul.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.