Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-cx0xxx

I have for months now had crackling issues with my audio. I don't really notice it on my laptop speakers, but always I get crackling through my headphones especially after I close my laptop lid and put it to sleep. I have tried four different pairs of headphones and still get the same problems. I have updated my sound drivers and run the diagnostic sound test through the HP thing and it doesn't pick anything up at all. I'm getting really sick of it, it's terrible when I'm trying to focus on my uni work and all I can hear when any type of sound plays is crackling and popping with the sound. I have tried changing the quality of audio that comes in through device manager etc. I'm at a loss for what to do from here. I've had so many issues with my HP product I don't think I'll ever want to buy another one again which is sad because the laptop when it works, is great.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Update: I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, I have updated BIOS etc. I have deduced that this issue seems to be mainly when my laptop is put to sleep either by not using it and going into sleep mode, or closing the lid. Immediately upon reopening/waking up my laptop the crackling noise begins. Sometimes it can take a few shutdowns turning it back on again to get it to stop crackling. 

Any help would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

@katkit97 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting crackling and popping sound when I use headphones.

Please perform the below steps and check.

Hard Reset:

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected.  

3) Remove the Battery. ( not for Built-in Battery computer ) 

4) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds.  

5) Plug-in the Adapter and put the Battery back into the computer if it's a (removable battery)

6) Try to turn on the computer and check, If the issue persists continue next step

Set BIOS default and restart:

1. Restart your notebook.
  2. During startup, press F10 repeatedly until the BIOS menu is displayed.
  3. Once the BIOS menu is displayed, press F9 to restore factory defaults.
  4. Select Yes to confirm.
  5. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
  6. Select Yes to confirm.
  7. The computer restarts using the default settings.

If the issue still persists, please perform the system restore.

System Restore is a software program available in all versions of Windows 10 and Windows 8. System Restore automatically creates restore points, a memory of the system files and settings on the computer at a particular point in time. You can also create a restore point yourself. Then, when you use System Restore to restore your computer to a point in time before an issue began, System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

You can also undo a System Restore if the restore does not resolve the issue or if the issue becomes worse.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.