Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, everyone.  Really frustrating experience with no sound coming out of the builtin Bang & Olfusen speajers on my 1 year old HP Spectre X360 2-in-1 laptop.  Audio bars move so the sound card seems to be working.  Connecting a Bluetooth headset works just fine too.  It is only the builtin speakers that don't.  Have tried everything, running trouble-shooter (which doesn't find any issues), updating the driver from Device Manager, disabling/enabling the device from Device Manager, unistalling the device from Device Manager and letting the system re-install it,  etc.  Nothing seems to work.  Would appreciate your tips.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@nasers I went through the details and the failure ID you've mentioned took some time to be decoded, that's probably why the last tech left that out, that said, here's what it represents:

Error code: 107 - Audio Failure (unspecified) - Possible Issue with Audio Board, Audio Card, Audio Jack, Earphone, Headset, Microphone, Receiver, Speakers.

I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options,

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@nasers Since you've done most of the troubleshooting steps related to the software part of the issue, I suggest we perform a hardware test to ensure this isn't a hardware malfunction:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so very much for the detailed response.  I went through all these steps and the System Tests->Extensive Test didn't find any problems.  And even I select Component Tests->Audio Test, for the first I could hear the speakers playing the test tones!  However, the problem still persists (no sound from speakers even though audio bars move, all tests pass, and if I connect any headset, it works fine).    Interestingly,  when I launched "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows" in the admin mode and ran the Audio Component test, I COULD NOT hear any audio either and it reported this Failure Code: 0LXVBA-97F9QF-MFPW3F-21TL13.     Any ideas?

Thanks so much,

Naser

HP Recommended

I  have the same problem with Bang & Olufsen build in speakers. They stopped working. I have have tried updating the Bios and using the High Definition Audio Device  and it still makes no sound. Its an HP ENVY x360. I have spend hours trying to get this to work. I don't understand why these diagnostic tools will not fix it. This should be easy, actually it should never happen. I just want to play music with my built in speakers, is that too much to ask for?

HP Recommended

@Mountainbiker
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community. 

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Use the troubleshooting tool in Windows

The audio troubleshooting tool in Windows can automatically fix common audio recording and audio playback problems with your computer. Run the troubleshooting tool using the following steps:

• In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon https://hp.dezide.com/data/pictures/hp-external/web_author/guid-a7774d00-7a27-4b96-ab1c-b2f8a7083ba0-low_86905_en.jpg in the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  • Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.
  • Click Next.
  • Select the device you want to troubleshoot and click Next.
  • Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).
  • When the troubleshooter is done, the Troubleshooting has completed page is displayed, listing any problems found and what changes were made to the computer.
  • Click Close.
  • If a recommended action is displayed, select Apply this fix.

Restoring the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager:

1. In Windows, search for and open Recovery Manager.
  2. Click Reinstall drivers and/or applications.
  3. Select the audio driver in the list, and then click Install.
  4. Wait for the driver to reinstall. When the installation is complete, click OK.
  5. Close HP Recovery Manager and then restart your computer.
  6. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, try updating the driver using Device Manager.

Updating the audio driver using Device Manager:

Make sure the audio device is enabled and then update the audio driver using Device Manager as follows:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
  3. If a sound device is listed with a down arrow, the device is disabled. Right-click the sound device name and select Enable to re-enable the device.
  4. With the sound device enabled, right-click the sound device and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
  6. Windows checks for and installs any updated drivers found. The window displays whether the computer already has the latest available driver or if Windows was able to successfully update the audio driver.
  7. If a window opens asking you to restart the computer, restart the computer.
  8. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after updating the driver, continue to the next step.

If you completed these steps and the latest driver was already installed, use the following steps to uninstall and then reinstall the driver:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
  3. Right-click the sound device and select Uninstall.
  4. Restart the computer to reinstall the driver.
  5. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, continue to the next step.

BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you, Echo-lake.  Tried all of that and nothing helped resolve the issue.  As I said before, the only hopeful thing from running these steps was that only UEFI Component Test of Audio Component, when run from an interrupted boot process, passes the test and I actually hear sounds from the speaker.  But the laptop reboots, goes back to the same problem of no sound from speakers.  Does the Failure ID I sent before (0LXVBA-97F9QF-MFPW3F-21TL13) not reveal anything?

Thanks,

Naser

HP Recommended

@nasers I went through the details and the failure ID you've mentioned took some time to be decoded, that's probably why the last tech left that out, that said, here's what it represents:

Error code: 107 - Audio Failure (unspecified) - Possible Issue with Audio Board, Audio Card, Audio Jack, Earphone, Headset, Microphone, Receiver, Speakers.

I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options,

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, Riddle_Decipher.  Coming here per your suggestion because my warranty has run out recently.  Still no progress on my problem.   If you believe the failure code is pointing to audio board or some hardware issue, what is puzzling is that, when I interrupt boot process and do Component Testing of audio, the speaker DO WORK fine.  That is the only I heard anything out of the speakers.  Wouldn't that mean the hardware is ok?  As soon as Windows completes boots, speaker goes dead.  Although, if I connect any kind of headset, it works just fine as well.  It is just the builtin speakers not working when Windows is running.  Can I ask you about RESET THIS PC option available from the Recovery app?  What are the risks/down-side of doing that?

Thanks,

Nasers

HP Recommended

Thanks, Riddle-Decipher.  As you suggested, I responded as a private message since my warranty ran out recently.  Have tried everything you said, still no sound from speakers except when I interrupt reboot and do F2->Component Test->Audio Test.  That works just fine but as soon as Windows comes up, nothing works.  In that private message I asked about your thoughts regarding a RESET THIS PC option via the Recovery tool.

Thanks,

Nasers

HP Recommended

@nasers I see that you've responded twice both in public, none in private, please use this link for details on how to find and use the private messages section, that said, resetting windows using the RESET THIS PC option can be used once all personal data is backed up as otherwise the data could be deleted/lost, although, that isn't recommended as the hardware tests have failed and its been determined that this is a hardware failure.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.