3 1 0 4
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Plugging In Headphones does not change output of audio

Spectre x360 4121tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone else encountered this problem where plugging in some speakers, or headphones into the audio jack does not change where sound is coming from if the application is already open?

So for example, I'm listening to music on iTunes or Youtube through the laptop's speakers, then if I plug in my earphones, it does not automatically change output to my earphones. The computer recognises that my earphones are in, and changes the volume controls to be for my earphones, but sound still comes out of my laptop speakers. I've already tried setting the headphones as default on the playback settings.

The only way to change it that I have found is I have to exit the application and then open it up again. But this problem will persist if I want to unplug my earphones and change back to laptop speakers, I have to close and open the application again.

It may be a Windows 10 issue, but if anyone has a solution to this problem that would be great.

Thanks,

Sean

2 REPLIES 2
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 711 1900
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @SpurCarnage,

Thank you for your query.

I grasp that if you are listening to  music and connect your headset the sound comes from both the notebook and the headset. You have set the headset as the default playback device.  If you close the music program and open it with the headset attached then you only have sound in the headset, but if you disconnect the headsets you do not get sound from the speakers.

Although you have sound, please try the steps in the followind link. HP Notebook PCs - No Sound from Speakers (Windows 10, 8)

Have you checked for viruses and malware?

Please let me know the outcome.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts, please click the   Thumbs Up icon   below.  

Good Luck!

Penquin happy holidays.jpg

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
jvall Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We have a 2-week old Spectre x360 4116dx.  We have the same problem.  The issue is only with iTunes; everything else works as expected.  Once iTunes starts, plugging/uplugging the headphone makes no difference, the sound keeps coming from whatever was active when iTunes started.

I assume this is a compatibility issue with iTunes and the audio driver.  We are using the latest version of both (as of 7/2016). 

Several people have reported this on various forums.  It should be trivial to replicate.   It would be nice to know the offending culprit so we can keep an eye out for a fix.  This is not a huge issue since it is easy to work aound...just start iTunes with the desired configuration.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation