cdalemax
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Subwoofer Envy 17 malfunction

HP ENVY Notebook - 17-n178ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had static and hissing coming from my speakers for months every time a sound is played. It's getting worse and it seems to happen only when plugged in. I reinstalled windows, drivers, etc.. No success. After opening my laptop I realized even when only battery powered it hisses but a lot quieter. I disconnected the subwoofer and the hissing is gone. What I'm wondering though is if the problem could be caused by something else and it just interferes with the subwoofer. Or is this just a busted speaker. Perhaps I'm only removing a symptom and not the cause? No physical damage on the outside of the subwoofer but perhaps a bad connection on the inside. I'm not sure you can actually open the subwoofer to check. It looks like it's sealed. Any thoughts? Is hissing just a speaker issue? Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Level 11
Level 11
2,447 2,389 293 896
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
cdalemax
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I tried the audio test but it passed. The noise is definitely coming from the subwoofer as I put my ear against it to check. Plus when it's unplugged there's no other noise coming from the laptop. If there was an issue with another component that somehow caused distortion transfered to the speakers, I would assume it would come through all the speakers, not just the subwoofer. What do you think? I'm no sound/electronic expert so I don't know. I did open the subwoofer; it was glued. Hard to tell if there's an issue in there. Perhaps a wire is broken. The problem started a couple of months after the warranty expired. Of course. I would hate to buy another subwoofer if that's not the problem.

0 Kudos
Level 11
Level 11
2,447 2,389 293 896
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
cdalemax
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Kem579,

You must've missed what I said earlier in my rambling. The noise is also present when only battery powered. I just couldn't hear it before I disassembled the laptop since it's much quieter than when running on AC. Which is also confusing. I'll try all the tests you mentioned anyway; perhaps there's issues there as well. If not oh well, I'll have to order a new part. Or maybe I'll just continue using my external speakers. The laptop audio sucks anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

0 Kudos
Asimov
Level 2
18 14 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have seen several posts about this problem on the forum. I have the same problem. My conclusion is that this laptop has an flawed sound system. Instead of advising people to buy a new subwoofer, I would suggest starting a replacement program. This is not a cheap laptop and the sound is being promoted as something special. I turns out that the sound system is causing a lot of frustration instead.

0 Kudos
Asimov
Level 2
18 14 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have seen several posts about this problem on the forum. I have the same problem. My conclusion is that this laptop has an flawed sound system. Instead of advising people to buy a new subwoofer, I would suggest starting a replacement program. This is not a cheap laptop and the sound is being promoted as something special. I turns out that the sound system is causing a lot of frustration instead.

0 Kudos
cdalemax
6 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I agree. The sound has never been very good. I took out the malfunctioning subwoofer and now I either use headphones or external speakers. Quite disappointing for such an expensive laptop.

0 Kudos
MarkH29
Level 3
23 23 0 13
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Kem,

Is there any update on this issue? I have had my laptop for about 3 years, and this issue only surfaced in the last couple of months. The crackling and poor sound does go away when I disconnect the subwoofer.

For that reason and due to your suggestion on the previous post, I ordered a new subwoofer. The issue did not improve in the least. The issue is mainly happening when my AC adapter is plugged in. But after three years, I can't run very long on battery power.

Right now, I'm just operating without the subwoofer, but I was wondering if there is actually a solution here. Any updates?

Yeah.. it always feels like products break right after the warranty statement ends. But anyway, just want to let you know that you always have the option of replacement with HP Spare Part number 813807-001.:smileysad:

Regards,

kem579

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show thanks!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation