Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PiotrJJ
Level 4
54 41 1 29
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation CPU usage after Realtec High Definition Audio driver update

Spectre x360 13-t ae-000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday, HP Support Assistant suggested an update for Realtec High Definition Audio(SST) driver. After the driver update to version 6.0.1.8437, I noticed laptop's cooling fan/fans were working pretty much at all times.

Windows Task Manager is showing Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation process continuously using 20-30% of CPU resource. Processor stays hot, fans stay on. Not good at all!

I googled the issue, and it turned out it was nothing new. I went through all the recommended solutions, and applied those that I was able to. Among other things:

• uninstalled the driver (also via Windows' Device Manager), and installed it again - three times, including a fresh download from HP's website;
  • uninstalled Skype desktop verion and Spotify for Windows 10 app;
  • run Windows Troubleshooter;
  • run Microsoft Malware Detection software.

Nothing seems to help. The only time I saw Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation process not hogging CPU was when I uninstalled Realtec High Definition Audio(SST) driver, leaving the laptop with no sound device whatsoever. The issue comes back every time the audio driver is reinstalled.

MY CONCLUSION: the most recent version of Realtec High Definition Audio(SST) driver is the culprit.

Unless, someone has a better idea?

Also, when HP Support Assistant installs new drivers/software it recommended, it creates a 'restore point'.
QUESTION: How do I roll back to previous version of audio driver? using HP Support Assistant? Or, using Windows restore?

18 REPLIES 18
PiotrJJ
Level 4
54 41 1 29
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation CPU usage after Realtec High Definition Audio driver update

UPDATE

After much hassle, I rolled the Realtec High Definition Audio(SST) driver to version 6.0.1.8351, and that sorted the issue.

In the meantime (still with driver latest version 6.0.1.8437), I also noticed a few things related to the original problem:

• I was able to manually stop the Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation process in Task Manager, and the CPU usage would immediately drop;

• after stopping the Windows process, laptop sound would still work;

• the Windows process would then reappear in Task Manager, but only using very little of CPU resources;

• also programmes/apps like Groove Music or Spotify would work with no issue; however, Skype for Business programme would claim there was 'no sound device' installed on the laptop;
  • after starting Skype for Business call, the Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation process would again start hogging CPU resources.
Mark_Holle
2 2 0 2
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same issue on my late 2017 HP Spectre 13.  To temporarily solve the issue, I go into task manager and stop the audio isolation graph service.  I then go into Device Manager and roll back the driver to the previous version.  Unfortunately, the issue comes back after a day or so and I find that the system has automatically updated my driver to the latest version.  We use Skype for Business as well.  Is that the culprit?

When searching on this issue, turning off audio enhancements is suggested.  I can't find the Enhancements tab in the Speaker properties or any such control on the Bang and Olufsen audio controls.

PiotrJJ
Level 4
54 41 1 29
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too rolled back the audio driver, and the issue didn't reappear since. HP Assistant keeps suggestion audio driver update, though no automatic updates negate the rollback solution on my machine.
Highlighted
fkbreitl
Level 2
36 24 0 2
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same problem here with Audio(SST) driver version 6.0.1.8475.

Rolling back to vesion 6.0.1.8437 seems to have fixed the problem for me.

0 Kudos
URiaz
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue, and it is happening since the Realtec update I have applied that was suggested by HP Support Assistant. 

I can manually end the Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation task from taskbar, but it re-appears when I start Skype again. 

Unfortunately, no one from Realtec is addressing this issue, and only option we have is to rollback the drivers.

0 Kudos
DonCarlo
1 1 0 1
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, I was also facing the same problem and it was driving me nuts for a week or so. After that I did a research and sadly I haven't found anything useful, so i decided to experiment on computer until this "issue" disapears. Well at the end I tried many sorts of things and it comes down to the Realtek Driver. The intresting thing I faced was the fact that I reinstalled the driver more than ten times. Before the last installation i checked the driver version and it said "6.0.1.8393". Then I downloaded the oldest possible version from the HP's official website. Interestingly when I checked the version it also stated the same version. Suprisingly when I uninstalled the existing drivers and installed the dowloaded ones the problem was somehow gone. I hope you guys will also find the solution as I did. I hope they will address this problem ASAP.

Peace!

Phab
Level 1
12 10 0 0
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an Envy x360-15 running Win10-Pro/64. I believe the source of the problem is Skype. I tried the Skype App, uninstalled it and then installed the Desktop version. Whenever either one is installed, Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation runs continuously at 25-30% of my CPU (8th gen core i7) heating up the laptop.

I have also done a deep virus scan to be sure it's not some malware. I can run various audio applications like Quicktime which run Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation at a very modest rate (less than 3% of CPU and only while playing sounds). 

Would be good to hear from HP if they can reproduce the problem in their lab and if they are working on it with Microsoft (which owns Skype).

0 Kudos
don_Ernesto
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

based on a mix of troubleshooting procedures in these threads, i downladed the 6.0.1.8437 Rev.B version of the drivers from HP support site (i had a newer version, updated using windows' update driver functionality

installed the version and it seems to be working fine now. i run skype and the problem does not reproduce.

0 Kudos
trunksy
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I upgraded to Windows 10 build 1809 and none of the previous solutions worked for me including the last recent version, 6.0.1.8351 Rev.B nor the latest version, 6.0.1.8437 Rev.B. I called HP tech support and they had me go to the version of the audio driver that came with the laptop, version 6.0.1.8241 Rev.A and that seems to have worked. I haven't tried the only remaining previous version, 6.0.1.8302 Rev.B but if it's not going to impact performance on my computer, I'd prefer not to cause problems by installing multiple versions of the same driver on my laptop. I prefer usability over having the latest and greatest although the latest and greatest is preferable. If anyone has free time on their hands, feel free to test the other versions and let us know. HP tech support is saying I should wait until the next update to update my driver again and see if it gets resolved in the next driver version.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation