QPootle2
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

100% disk usage under Windows 10

Touchsmart Sleekbook 4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After I've been using my machine for a few hours I suffer episodes during which disk usage reaches 100% and renders the machine almost unusable. The curious thing about this is that the processes tab in Task Manager only shows about 50% disk usage, while the graphic display on the performance tab shows 100%, which corresponds to the performance problems I'm suffering. The obvious explanation for such anomalous behaviour would be malware of some sort, but scans by AVG and IObit Malware Fighter both come up clean. I've disabled prefetch in Chrome and made the changes to Skype as suggested on a Microsoft forum. I also tried disabling Windows superfetch, suggested similarly, but disk activity hit 100% again almost immediately, so I've re-enabled it. Rebooting the machine does work for a while but it's hardly a sustainable solution. I'd be enormously grateful for any suggestions. 

4 REPLIES 4
Level 15
Level 15
19,486 19,426 1,811 4,299
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

QPootle2

The HP site does not show your Sleekbook as coming with Win10 preinstalled, so my guess is that you did the Win10 Upgrade, right?

That is known to leave a LOT of stuff in its wake, which can serious use up the disk space on the drive.

It creates a couple of directories under Windows (~.BT and ~.WS) that contain HUGE files, and it also creates Windows.old -- which contains a backup of the prior OS that it needs to perform the GoBack function.

I would start by following the directions in this thread about removing the Upgrade stuff to see if that helps: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-10-a.html

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
QPootle2
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Many thanks for your quick and informative response. As it happens, I think I may have solved the problem since I posted my question. I turned off a couple of AVG's background services, including identity protection, email scanning, and spam blocking and I haven't seen the problem since.  (I'm trusting to other things to protect me against those threats.) That my antivirus was, or may have been, involved might help explain the anomalous results seen in Windows performance monitor. That being said, I'll consider following your advice in some respects, although I'll probably keep windows.old in case I want to roll my installation back.

PS: I realise that the massive files you mention would occupy disk space, possibly uneccessarily, but I have to ask how they would cause such heavy disk activity?

0 Kudos
QPootle2
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It turns out that I was wrong about having solved the problem. After much fruitless tinkering I eventually decided to recover my system and start afresh. First, having backed up my important files, I used a recovery image booted from a USB stick. Once that had installed itself, I immediately DL'ed the Win 10 installer but, instead of simply upgrading my Win 8 installation I did a *clean* Win 10 installation that discarded whatever apps and data, aka bloatware, had been installed with the HP factory image. I then installed the fairly small set of apps that I like to use and - so far, touch wood - the problem has not recurred. It took a few hours of waiting but my machine is at last at least as responsive as the ancient laptop my younger son uses(!)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
joel1952
Level 2
23 18 0 8
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After a year of frustration with a 4 yo HP AND a brand new HP, I find your blaming a Win10 upgrade bogus. How disingenuous, blaming everyone and everything other than HP for the problem.

My old HP had the Win10 upgrade and my new HP came with Win10 preinstalled.  That's proof this is all HP's problem (IMO after a year of troubleshooting 2 HP computers with the same issue)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation