Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

hi, I would like to know what implications have if I can controll the bios.

Someone can controll my system? is it dangerous for security, or just for not disable installation of new os? regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the BIOS has a password that you can't remove, you will not be able to:

Change any hardware settings in the BIOS

Reinstall an operating system

It is not dangerous for security.

Basically, your notebook is in a crippled state, and can only be used as you are using it now.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the BIOS has a password that you can't remove, you will not be able to:

Change any hardware settings in the BIOS

Reinstall an operating system

It is not dangerous for security.

Basically, your notebook is in a crippled state, and can only be used as you are using it now.

HP Recommended

Can I update to the new bios software without password from windows 8.1?

HP Recommended

I do not believe you can, but don't think it will hurt anything if you try to update the BIOS.

Worst case scenario is it asks for the P/W when you go to update the BIOS, and you won't be able to continue.

I recall discussing this situation with you in the Summer, when I said make sure you do not buy any notebooks with a BIOS P/W on them.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Wokrstation-8760-w-from-I7-267...

HP Recommended

In the old 3d you have been so helpfull , you give the problematic of motherboard.

I had to replace motherboard for the updating put my cpu too slow to work well 

What about if I wish just to replace a bios chips from motherboard, I can buy a new one on internet at very cheap price, do you think it's good operation? 

HP Recommended

I think it can be done, but I don't know how hard it is to do.

I do know that you would have to have expert soldering and de-soldering skills and know how to do that kind of work with delicate electronic equipment and not disturb any of the printed circuits on the motherboard.

HP Recommended

Today the seller has contactedme and  inform me about the password and it works , what should i do, should  restore the default bios? 

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Yes, I recommend that you set the BIOS to its defaults and then if there are any changes you want to make to some specific settings, feel free to do so.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.