Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (98 Views)

Black Screen on BIOS Setup Utility and Boot Device but not System Diagnostics

Product Name: HP Envy Ultrabook 4-1030us

I recently tried to install Windows 10 on my laptop (came with Windows 7 originally) but after the update starting up the laptop opens up on a black screen with the backlight on. However, I can hear the fan spinning and the LED indicators for power, wireless and hard disk usage are all on.

I tried to enter BIOS by pressing the ESC key on startup and it opened the Startup Menu fine. However, when I press F10 in the startup menu to access the BIOS Setup, the black screen with backlight on occurs again. When I do F9 for Boot Device Options the same thing happens. Pressing F1-System Information works fine and F2 opens the system diagnostics screen with 4 options: Memory Test, Hard Drive Check, Language, Exit.

The Windows 10 installation wiped out the HP_TOOLS partition so I downloaded the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics 3-in-1 USB Key. When this flash drive is plugged in and I attempt to access F2-System Diagnostics on the Startup Menu it opens up a white screen with buttons for various hardware tests which I presume is what's supposed to happen with the HP Diagnostics USB.

I've tried resetting the power by holding down the power button for 15 seconds but the same thing happened.

I've tried recovering the BIOS by starting up with the Windows + B keys pressed. In this case, there is a black screen too except this time the backlight is off. The fan still spins and the LED lights still turn on. Even after waiting for 5 minutes nothing seems to happen.

I've also tried Windows + V keys on startup. In this case the laptop beeps loudly ~12 times and a black screen with backlight occurs again.

I've tried updating the BIOS with the diagnostics flash drive to version F.25. The update seemed to occur normally and after the update F.25 shows up in the System Information screen but the problem persists.

What is going on? Why can I only access some parts of the startup menu but not F10-Bios Setup or F9-Boot Device Options? Why can't I boot into anything except the HP Diagnostics USB?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 2 (49 Views)

Re: Black Screen on BIOS Setup Utility and Boot Device but not System Diagnostics

Hi @DrOcta,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting to Windows and goes to a black screen.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2ymhlc5

If the issue persists, I recommend you contact HP phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

Open link: http://hp.care/2moMFSc

Enter Product number or select to autodetects

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation