Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (593 Views)

Black screen, BIOS does not load, Diagnostics does not load

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Envy 17.3 m7-n109dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have HP Envy 17.3 m7-n109dx, windows 10 64-bit

I got the windows blue screen, then when the windows attempted to restart a black screen showed up, and windows did not boot. I tried several things, but nothing worked. Here is a list of what I have tried:

1. I did a hard reset.

2. I made sure the battery and the AC adapter are not the problem.

3. I tried pressing the ESC several times after powering the device, but nothing happened (to load the safe mode).

4. I tried to restore the bios by pressing the windows and B keys, and then pressing and then releasing the power button, and continue to press the other two keys. When I do that, I can see the hard drive light comes on for a few seconds, then the screen lights, but it stays blank. I contine to press the two keys for 1-2 minutes, but nothing shows on the screen. Then when I release the windows and the B keys, the screen goes dark, and the power buttoon continues to light. The power goes off if I press the power button for several seconds. I tired this several times.

5. I tried step 4, but with a USB drive. The same happened.

6. I tried pressing the power button, then the  F2 key (several times). The screen continued to be black.

7. I tried the pressing the windows key + P. Nothing happened.

8. I tried to run HP Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) from a USB, but the screen remaind black.

9. I tried to load the safe mode from a USB, but the screen remained black.

If there is anything else I can try, please let me know.

Could the motherboard be the problem? (I bought the laptop about a month ago, so it is still relatively new.)

Please help.

UPDATE:

My peoblem has been solved. This is what solved the problem:

1. I made a windows USB media installer, and I inserted the USB in the port.

2. I pressed the windows and B keys, then I pressed the power buton (to load the BIOS). I then released the power button after about 3 seconds.

3. I continued to press the windows and B keys for several minutes, then I released the keys. The power button was still on.

4. I left the laptop this way. I noticed that every minute or so the hard drive light would be on for a few seconds, then the USB stick would be on (I have a USB stick that lights up when it is being accessed). Then the screen would also light up for a few seconds (but it was blank). This continued for about 1 hour!!

5. After about 1 hour of the above, the BIOS screen showed up saying the BIOS was being recovered.

6. The laptop then started, and the windows was loaded up normally.

One more thing: Obviously a BIOS update caused this problem. After the windows was loaded, the windows downloaded updates and updated the BIOS again (even though I set the connection as metered!!). Once this happend, I got the blue screen again. However, this time when the laptop restarted, it immediatly recovered the old BIOS.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (582 Views)

Re: Black screen, BIOS does not load, Diagnostics does not load

It sounds like some sort of hardware failure, possibly hard drive. You have a 1 yr warranty with HP. Scroll down on the page here to start a request for service. You will be given your contact options:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-ENVY-m7-n100-Notebook-PC-(Touch)/9365082/model/93...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation