Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 14-dq0000 Laptop PC (9WQ76AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello. I took the back panel off my laptop in order to see the memory sticks because what comes with this laptop is inadequate. I saw I only have 1 memory slot and I took the stick out to get the number off of it. I reseated it, put the back panel back on and turned it on. The computer powered on but the screen was black.

I purchased an upgraded memory stick. I got it in today and traded the other one out. Now the CAPS LOCK key is blinking 3 long white light and 2 short white light and the screen is still black.

I would appreciate any help. 

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Beep codes and reset instructions
Click here for Laptop codes

Try reseating the memory as it probably is not locking into position correctly.  use an air duster to remove debris.

Click here to check warranty
and
Click here for world-wide contact info
Or contact the closest authorized service center

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks for getting to me so quickly. I have tried reseating the memory, recovering the bios, resetting the laptop, connecting it to another monitor, and as I said, upgrading the memory from 4g to 8g.

I tried booting it into safe mode and recovery mode. If it booted into those screens I don't know because my screen remained black.

My warranty is expired.

I remain hopeful that someone will have another suggestion that works for me.

Thank you again for your reply. 

HP Recommended

All I can think of is to put the original memory back in the original slot and then try the other slot

This is the disassembly video for your laptop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irJhzavah3Q&ab_channel=IT-Tube

Make sure cables are all connected and it looks the same as in the video

Those flashing codes indicate a memory problem.  You might clean the gold edges of the memory stick with an eraser but ensure no debris from the eraser is left on the chip,.

HP Recommended

I will definitely try your suggestions. Thank you so much. All fingers and toes crossed!

HP Recommended

Well, I don't see a way to upload a picture so bear with me while I try to tell you what I found. 

Instead of a cooling fan, mine had a plate. I took the plate off thinking what I was seeing on the video was being protected under the plate. Nope, still no fan. And there is a second slot next to the original memory module slot in the video, but mine does not have that. And I can't find where there is one any place else.

So I'm going to try cleaning the module with an eraser as you suggested.

By the way, the memory I just got is the same as the original one except it is 8 g rather than the 4 g that came with the laptop. I already put the original back in and the blinking light stopped. But my screen remained black.

So I went to that article and tried again with the troubleshooting it had in it, but had no luck. If cleaning it doesn't work the only thing left I know to do is to contact support at HP and hope they will help me even though my warranty is expired. 

Thank you again for all of your help. 

HP Recommended

If the blinking stopped then try an external monitor or even a TV set 

HP Recommended

I tried connecting it to my TV with an hdmi cord. I pressed the f4 key with and without the fn key and within without the alt key. Nothing.

HP Recommended

You might try disconnect the battery, tap the power on switch a couple of times wait a minute or 2, then reconnect the battery.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.