Honor Student
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot from external optical drive

HP Notebook - 14-ac151nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I'm trying to boot a Linux-based OS from an external optical drive.

Using the UEFI boot options menu, I've set the boot order so that the regular OS boot manager appears last, but I still cannot get the other OS to boot.

I have the external drive connected by a cord to the USB port on the notebook. Legacy boot is disabled, boot from CD/DVD is enabled, secure boot is enabled.

The external drive is working-- in fact, its light blinks when I restart the computer. The DVD works on my desktop too.

Here's what I've been doing: Restart the computer. Hit 'esc', then 'F9'. At this point it only gives me two options, but both are for the Windows OS. It doesn't even list "internal drive", "external drive", or "USB" at this point.

Agh. Please help. Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
9,767 8,617 704 3,165
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot from external optical drive

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum!

It might be that the BIOS does not recognize your DVD drive at all but this highly unlikely.

The problem is most probably because Legacy mode is disabled and Secure boot (Win 8 and Win 10) is enabled. There is no bigger Linux foe than Microsoft's SecureBoot :OpenSmile:

Secure boot is designed to prevent such things to happen (booting from external media).  Here is more info:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04784866

>> http://www.howtogeek.com/116569/htg-explains-how-windows-8s-secure-boot-feature-works-what-it-means-...

Please,

- disable Secure Boot

- enable Legacy Mode

- configure Legacy Mode boot options and place USB CD/DVD Rom drive on top

- Save the changes

- Ensure the USB DVD rom is plugged in, restart the computer, keep hitting the Esc Button (like tap-tap-tap) and press F9 for boot options. Choose the extenal USB CD/DVD rom option to boot from the Linux CD/DVD.

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation