Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I've replaced HD on my Pavilion dv6 laptop. Tried using Recovery DVD discs I created before change. Changed BIOS to BOOT from DVD. PC responds with BOOTMGR missing. I also have recovery USB that claims to fix missing BOOTMGR . How do I change Bios (InsydeH2O Rev. 3.5 Ver. F1A) to boot from USB - boot from USB not in boot options in Bios boot order.
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Usually even after changing boot order you will still have to use Esc, then F9 to select CD/DVD as boot device. Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F9 Boot options is a choice.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Hi CherylG,
Thanks for your response. I might not have been clear in my initial message. I know how to change boot order to my CD/DVD. I have done this before. But I have a Bootable USB that claims to resolve 'BOOTMGR missing' error message, which is what I'm getting. So, I want to use it and need to change the boot order in my InsydeH2O BIOS (Rev. 3.5 Ver. F1A). But I don't see a clear 'Boot from USB' choice in the Boot order. I have read in other posts that the InsydeH2O BIOS has hidden screens giving other options but have not come across clear directions of how to access these hidden options.

Below I have listed the 'Startup Menu' I get when I hit escape after starting my PC.

Starup Menu
    F1 System Info
    F2 System Diagnostics
    F9 Boot Device Options
    F10 BIOS Setup
    F11 System Recovery

I chose F9 and I get the following:
    Boot Option Menu:
    >Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive
    >Notebook Hard Drive

Move up and down to change option
    Press F10 to BIOS Setup Options, ESC to exit.

There are only these 2 choices so I chose 'Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive'  then I 'Press F10 and get the following:

Screen Title: InsydeH2O Setup Utility
    Headings (Choices): 'Main' (System Info); 'Security'; Diagnostics (Memory Tests); System Configuration; Exit

I press 'System Configuration';
The following choices appear:
     > SVM Support
     > Fan Always on
     > Action Keys Mode
     > Boot Option

I select 'Boot Option' and press 'Enter"
     Boot Options:
     > Post Hot Key Delay (sec)
     > CD-ROM Boot
     > Floppy Boot
     > Internal Network Adapter Boot
     > Boot Order

I select 'Boot Order' and press 'Enter"
     Boot Order:
     > Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive
     > Notebook Hard Drive
     > USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Drive
     > USB CD/DVD ROM Drive
     > USB Floppy
     > Network Adapter

These are my choices. I do not see a clear 'Boot from USB' option. Any suggestions??

Thanks for your help.

Victor

HP Recommended

I've managed to boot from my USB.

My problem was that I thought I had to change the BIOS first then insert my USB.

But when looking in the BIOS I didn't find a USB choice.

I then tried  inserting the USB first then going to Bios and what a surprise ...

the name of the USB was listed in the BIOS boot order.

I selected the USB hit enter and the PC started reading from the USB.

Thanks for you help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.