2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DV6-2120sp powers on, but no boot nor blink codes

Pavilion DV6-2120sp
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good morning to all!

My computer was running fine, either with Windows 7 64-bit or with the upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit.

My battery is dead, so i use the laptop without it. Just AC cord in.

Last night, as i was setting up a Wi-Fi router at home, i left it on for about 3-4 hours.

When i finished, i powered it down normally.

This morning, i took it out and set it on the dinnign table, and when i powered it up, the leds from the sound, wi-fi and mouse pad stay lit, the fan starts up, the leds from the caps-lock and num-lock blink once, but no bios or OS boot.

I powered it down, removed AC cord and reset holding power button for 1 minute+ 3 times, then power cord in and powered it up and the same thing happened, but this time i got 2 blinks from the caps and num lock, then 5 second pause, and another 2 blinks:

BIOS corrupted, right?

Since i have customed my laptop with an HyperX Fury SSD drive 240Gb from Kingston, i don't have the partitions from HP Recovery or HP Tools, so i tryed to get the BIOS file from HP Support and created a BIOS recovery flashdrive.

The BIOS file is not the latest BIOS update tool from HP, it's Winflash, so doesn't allow creating a recovery flash drive directly, so i extracted the contents and put it in a 4Gb flashdrive, formatted in FAT32, Renamed HP_TOOLS, and tryed the whole reset process, then hitting Win Logo + B keys in and pressing Power button for 1-2 seconds to recover BIOS.

Worked once out of 7 tries!

Started the BIOS Recovery screen.

Machine booted up fine... until 50 seconds passed on desktop and it crashed down (total power off!!!).

Tryed to boot it up again, and now just fan, wi-fi, sound and trackpad leds stay lit, and caps and num lock leds blink ONCE, with no repetition...

Tryed all the above again, and nothing happens, zip, zilch!!!

Any light on this matter?

Or should i stripp it down for the parts and smash the rest of the thing in to the wall?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 359
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @ThycoS

I would like to welcome you to the HP Support Community where you can ask questions, find solutions and get help with the issues you experience. If my reply resolves your issue or answer your question about the blink(s) on the Caps Lock LED, please let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

The LED lights near the Caps Lock and Num Lock keys will blink if an error is detected during the startup process. The LEDs will blink a number of times in a sequence and then stop. It sounds like the number of blinks in the sequence you are experiencing is 1 blink. This means that the CPU is not functional.  

You can try to reseat the CPU and check all of the connections first to see if maybe for some reason it is just not connecting properly. 

If those steps did not work, please try following the other steps in the Restoring the BIOS document or you can use the following steps to reload the factory installed BIOS Setup settings:

1. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the Exit tab.

2. Select Load Setup Defaults.

3. Select Save Changes and Exit (pressing F5 and the Enter key will also load the Setup Defaults).

4. Press Esc and then Enter to exit Setup.

You are correct in saying that two blinks means BIOS corruption failure. You can find this information in the Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code document; this document provides the solution to a BIOS corruption failure. 

For your convenience, I have also posted the steps below: 

If this occurs, update the BIOS on the computer. For more information, see Updating the BIOS.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue. If you require further assistance I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, please click the "thumbs up" to give me a Kudos.

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
ThycoS
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply!

Unfortunatly, i can't get past that, since i allready disassembled/reassembled the whole laptop, checked the connections, removed CPU and re-inserted it, well seated, and when i fired it up, nothing....just more of the same thing: 1 brief blink from the Caps Lock and Num Lock LED's, no sequence in that, fan on, and no boot.

Regarding the BIOS suggestions, i can't perform none of those, since:

1- i can get the laptop to boot (hence, no BIOS options!!!);

2- i don't have the original HDD for the laptop, i customized it with as 240GB SSD from Kingston (hence no HP_TOOLS partition).

My guess is that the MainBoard and/or the CPU and/or the BIOS are fried.

This is my second experience with HP laptops:

1st - a DV2500 with and nVidia GPU 8400GS that acted up, tryed to replace the chip and nothing, scarpped it for parts;

I had an ACER laptop that worked like hell for 3,5 years, almost everyday 10/12 hours per day, in hot/cold/mopist environment, in the middle of the dirt and mud, until it fried the CPU;

This one i didn't use for online gamming like i did before, just for some desk work, video play and music play, and now is shot to hell. I didn't stressed it out 1/4th of the stress i put the ACER through.

I really like this laptop, the performance was good, with the SSD in it was like lightning, but i'm running out of solutions and options here...

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 359
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey!

Thank you for getting back to me. At this point because you have checked everything and the Notebook is still not coming on, I would suggest you use the following link to create yourself a case number and contact us:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. They may have some tips or tricks they can use to figure out which one is the issue and guide you a little better in the way of a solution.

I hope that this helps! 

Take care! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation