3 1 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dual boot windows 8.1 after reinstall

HP Elitebook 8570w
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently reinstalled by laptop due to a faulty install of windows 8 which made me unable to start my pc and it got stuck in a bootloop. The reinstall was succesfull.

However, when starting up I have to pick an operating system which means that I have two installed versions of windows on my harddrive. The first one works, the second one doesnt and shows a winload.efi missing error. I've tried removing the second install but so far I have been unsuccesfull, does anyone have any tips on how to remove that install without removing the working one? 

I have added a picture of the OS-picking screen and of my harddrive partitioning.

Thanks

IMG_20170402_201131.jpg

Disks.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
9,950 8,791 723 3,234
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Dendroo

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

This is easy. You need to use the Boot Configuration Data Editor tool (built-into Windows) to edit the Boot Configuration Data BCD (a.k.a. the screen that shows is part of this BCD)

Easier solution for you with a GUI - use EasyBCD tool - free for personal use

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/#comparison

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Register with fake name/fake email and download the .exe file  or click here

Once it loads/starts, click on "Edit Boot Menu". Select the desired start up as default. Eventually mark the unwanted one and delete it. Save the settings and exit. Restart the PC to see the result.

* Note - be careful what you delete. If you see duplicate entry of the same thing and you are unsure what you will delete, first rename one of them to something you know - like "Windows 8 different", Save the changes, restart and test if this is the working one. Therefore, after restart you will see which one boots - either "Windows 8 different" or just "Windows 8" and after that you will know for sure which one to erase and which to keep. You may rename them any time you want.

Let me know if solves your issue.

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional

0 Kudos
Dendroo Top Student
Top Student
3 1 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply,

luckily yesterday I found out how to remove the second boot option. By removing the second (non existing) Windows 8.1 boot option from the msconfig boot tab. This has greatly increased my start up speed and decreased my annoyance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation