Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I have the ENVY 17 with the  618859-001 motherboard and FHD display.  The laptop won't boot and I get nothing on the display -- only the sound of the fan along with the white and orange status lights.  I've tried:

- connecting an external monitor to check the display (still blank)

- removing the memory chips one at a time (no bios, so I don't think it is memory anyway)

- holding down the start button with out the battery for 15 seconds ( hard reset)

- I've removed the disk drives and check them using an external USB connection (they id, but being RAID5 they don't mount separately)

- I bought a new motherboard and replaced the existing motherboard thinking that was the problem (it wasn't)

My last thought is to replace the CPU chip on the motherboard.  Any thoughts?  Also, how to I identify the exact CPU.  It has several numbers on it like a V044A138 and 35032665A.  Neither numbers come up on a google search.

Thanks,

dgp

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

I really apperciate the troubeshooting steps that you have performed on your own to try fix this issue. This is pretty much I could have also asked you to do. This is a clear indication that the issue is a hardware issue. But unfortunately we are not able to understand what exactly is causing this problem as we are not sure about the root cause.

I would recommend you sending the Notebook in for a Bench Repair to HP so that this issue can be taken care of. Replacing the components one by one to try resolving this issue might be a big ordeal as we are not sure about the root cause. In a Bench Repair a detailed quality check will be done on all the major components of your Notebook and they will be able to find the root cause of this issue which will get it resolved.

So, I would strongly suggest you to call HP, inform about this issue and ask them to get the Notebook send in for a Bench Repair. Inform them right at the beginning about everything you have already tried and ask them to make a detailed note of the same so that they can let the Service Center know about it.

Please contact HP over the Phone/E-mail/Chat. If you are in the USA/Canada, please contact HP over the Phone at 1800-474-6836.

HP US Support: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?cc=uk&lc=en

HP Worldwide Support: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Please find more details for contacting HP from the link below:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/contact.html

If you would still like to check with a new processor, you can try with the HP Parts Department.

Please visit: http://partsurfer.hp.com, select your Country from the list on top right and search for your Part Number. Please select the right country from the list if you had purchased the Notebook from anywhere else.

You can also access the HP Parts Store: http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/

Just to confirm this, please call them at 1-800-227-8164 Monday-Friday 7:00am-7:00pm CST, Saturday 7:00am-6:00pm CST.

!------------------- Please click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'. Please mark 'Accept as Solution' if it answers/solves your problem. Thank you-----------------------------------------------------------------!

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

I actually replaced the motherboard, but it did not solve the issue.  Then I brought a used SR02Y processor and the system worked.  I was quite excited.  Unfortunately, I believe overheating killed the original processor and now after only a week the replacement processor appears to be trashed due to heating issues.  It sounds like this model has a good deal of problems with over heating.

Could the heatsink possibly cause this or is it more likely a design issue.  I just don't want to pour any more money into the laptop and get nowhere.

dgp

HP Recommended
Siby, do you have a base price on the Bench Repair without parts. Support information seems to require that I have a product in warranty.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have sent you a message. Please have a look.

Please support me by clicking on the Kudos star if you like my post and “Accept as Solution” if my advice answered or helped your situation. These are the best ways in which you can thank me.

I am an HP Employee. 

HP Recommended
I had the same problem, took it to a local computer shop to fix and they told me it was a defect with the motherboard, so I ended up paying $200 and shipping it to HP for them to replace the part. I don't know if there is another way around it. It seems to be something that a lot of folks on the forum are cheating about, so maybe you'll come up with a great solution.

Good luck to you!
HP Recommended

MLBJustice,

You know what, I did replace the mother board and that didn't do it.  I then replaced the processor and that worked.  The system was back up and running.  Only it failed again after a few days.  Whatever killed the original chip must have killed the second chip.  And less I had two defective motherboards, I'm thinking that it may be something else like the heat sink.  I not sure if a heat sink can stop working since it is fairly static with no real smarts.

I have been unable to log a request for a "Bench Repair" since the computer is out of warrantee.  You must have been out of warrantee also.  How did you log the request -- online or on phone?  Is it $200 to fix the problem or does it depend on the problem?

Thanks for your input.  I'm getting feed up with this laptop.  Lots of work, no results.

Don

HP Recommended

HI MLBJustice and dgplugge:

Thank you for your inquiry.

I understand you are getting a black or blank screen and it does not boot..

I am sending you  links  to a documents for "Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot" click here. and "Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP)" click here.

Please let me know the results.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Wow! I am having the exact same problem. And I was thinking it was either the GPU or the CPU. See my post.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/not-boot-black-screen-always-no-bios-access/m...

I just bought a new motherboard too. Still waiting for it to arrive. I should try another processor on this MB first.

I have seen several others complain about this same issue on HP Envy laptops too on this forum. Many while doing a windows recovery of some sort. That is what I was doing when it happened to me. However, I installed a mSata SSD cache drive first and I was wondering if somehow the extra power draw from that caused a power failure in the Motherboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.