Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-db0031nr

I am getting an error message when I turn on my computer that says the selected boot device failed press enter to continue when I press enter it just turns off the computer recently I plugged a mouse into my laptop which I think cause the problem but I'm not sure I don't know how I can just reset my computer or fix it at home and that's what I'm trying to figure out how to do any help? Suggestions? Greatly appreciated thank you

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Bmwlady

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?

Try removing any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues. Then try and restart the Notebook. 
If the issue persists, perform a hard drive test:

1. If the notebook computer is running solely on battery power, plug the AC adapter into the notebook.

2. Shut down the computer if it is running.

3. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

4. Press F10 when the HP logo displays.

5. Go to Diagnostics > System Diagnostics menu > Hard Disk Test

6. Click the button Start Hard Drive test.

7. The HDD will be tested and the results displayed.

After the test is complete, make sure the PC is restarted. If the tests indicate any errors/faults with the Hard Disk Drive (HDD), Hard drive needs to be repaired.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.