Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
mediagiant Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

G62 powers on with power light and blinking Caps Lock button - hard reset not working

HP G62
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My fiancée's HP G62 laptop suddenly stopped booting.

More specifically, when you press the power button, the power light comes on, but the screen stays totally black. I tried doing a hard reset on it (unplug, remove the battery, and hold power button down for 60 seconds), but that didn't work.  I tried this multiple times with no success.

I shined a flashlight on the screen to see if there was a faint image (indicating a backlight problem), but there is no image at all. I tried connecting the computer to an external monitor, and that didn't work either.  

Recently I had to replace the fan and the power button assembly on this machine, but it was working fine after that until now. 

7 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
3798 201 431
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

G62 powers on with power light and blinking Caps Lock button - hard reset not working

Hi @mediagiant,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the computer booting to a black screen. I will be glad to help you.

Please post the full product number of your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Please get back to me with above information, so I can help you better.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
mediagiant Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

G62-340US
0 Kudos
mediagiant Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I still had not heard back from HP on this. The full model number is G62-340US.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3798 201 431
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @mediagiant,

Please try the following documents.

Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP)

Display Is Dim or Difficult to Read (Windows 8, 7, Vista)

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :)

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
mediagiant Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nope. None of that helped at all. I had already attempted the hard reset before posting to this thread. It still doesn't work.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3798 201 431
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @mediagiant,

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
mediagiant Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My hunch is that it's a hardware problem. It's an older laptop, and it's far out of warranty at this point. Probably not worth repairing...just time to replace.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation