Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Everyone

My HP Pavilion dv6 refused to boot into Windows one day, after restarting I got code BIOS error 501and it said press enter to reboot, after doing that the notebook just get stuck on Preparing Automatic repair, I cant even reinstall windows with USB. After spending countless hours searching web for the solution I've learned that BIOS can be recovered by 4 -in-1 USB utility provided on HP's website I went ahead and created one and booted it while pressing F2 on start-up went to Firmware Management and started BIOS update but with no luck I got this error "Unable to open BIOS signature file" the BIOS of my machine is present in the USB library with the .SIG (signature) file. Please help I dont know what to do next...

Details of Notebook

HP.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Turn off the notebook.
Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.
With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key and the B key at the same time (WinKey +B).

NB: On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key and the V key (WinKey +V).

While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the reply I've tried doing it but all I get is continous beeps and after that nothing happens and the machine goes back to boot from internal SDD and stucks there forever

HP Recommended

Hi

You mentioned using F2, which is why I posted an alternative option.

The HDD should retain a copy of the latest BIOS and be capable of using that as a repair. 

Failing that a USB stick inserted onto the LH side port, Port Side Port, and then pressing and holding down the Winkey and B (V) key before applying power. No F2 at all.

Bear in mind your piccy can take hours to be approved.

So Make, Model and OS along with the SKU if possible please.

HP Pavilion dv6" (7916) nearly 8000 matches to DV6

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.