Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre x360 - 13-4003dx freezes

HP Spectre x360 - 13-4003dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a brand new HP Spectre x360 - 13-4003dx which freezes everyday. 

I have updated with every availabel update from HP and it still freezes - normally during period when battery is charging and the laptop is still being used.  I wonder if something is overheating during the charging.

Once a forced restarts is done, then all seems to work just fine though.

Another issue is that I use this laptop with an additional flat screen monitor (via HDMI cable).  The monitor goes blank for several seconds routinely every so often for no apparent reason.  This is disruptive and very annoying. 

Could these issues be related?  Is there perhaps a problem with the graphics card?

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1900
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @S221,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

It is a great  place to find answers and suggestions!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

I understand that your new Spectre x360 - 13-4003dx is freezing  everyday and sometimes the external display goes blank for several seconds.

Here are two links that may help.

HP Notebook PCs - Resolving Video and Graphics Issues

HP PCs - Computer Locks Up or Freezes (Windows 8)

A restore is one of the options near the end of the above document.  With this being new a restore may not be possible but with Windows 8 they have a new option called refresh your PC.  This will reinstall the operating system but should not affect your personal data. I wouuld back up any personal data just to be safe.

HP PCs - Refresh Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 8)

If you should still have an issue please contact HP support for assistance.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

If you appreciate my reply, please click the thumbs up button below to say thanks.

If this should resolve your issue. please let other posters know by selecting solution provided.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
emocijus Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem and I noticed that freezing is related to failure of network adapter because a few seconds before every freezing the Internet connection would disappear. So I bought my self a wireless USB adapter and I use it instead of the one inside the laptop. I disabled default network adapter in Device Manager. On my laptop it was called "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265". It seems that this has solved the problem. Besides freezing I was also getting blue screen which is also somehow related to network adapter. This means there's something really wrong with the network adapter or its drivers. So try this solution and see if it helps.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1900
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @emocijus,

Welcome to the HP Forums! 

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

Learn How to Post and More.

I grasp that you were experiencing a freezing issue which you determined was related to the wireless card.

To overcome this issue you have disabled the onboard wireless and are using a wireless USB adapter, which is working well.

You should be able to overcome the freezing issue related to the o board wireless by updating the driver . 

Please try this to resolve the original wireless issue. 

• While in Windows hit Win Key + X or right click on the  start menu to pull up the  menu.
  • Choose Device Manager
  • While in Device Manager, choose Network Adapters
  • Right click on the Intel WLAN 7265  card and choose Properties
  • Go to the driver tab and choose Update Driver.
  • Select “Search automatically for updated driver software”.

It will download and install a newer driver. Latest version available should be 18.30.0.9

Before closing that window please click on the power management tab. If "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked please remove it and click OK.

Please let me know if this helped.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts, please click the Thumbs Up Icon below.  

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
pauljones1234 Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
Hearty03 Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Sparkles could you help me
0 Kudos
Hearty03 Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I need help on my hp stream
0 Kudos
PCHelpForce Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought one of these new 2 in 1 devices and being a computer technician was quite frustrated with the freezing issue. It happened repeatedly and was making the unit unusable. I tried resetting it and it was ok for a moment but then the freezing would come back.  Narrowed it down to the Wi-Fi adapter as with the Wi-Fi disabled in device manager the freezing went away. 

Apparently the Wi-Fi adapter driver that HP has in it's archives has a glitch as I used the HP Update software to get the latest Wi-Fi driver from Intel and it still was freezing.

So....I solved it by going out to Intel's webite and downloaded the latest driver from there. To know which one you need just right click on your windows button and goto device manger.  Click the littlie > next to Network Adapters and you can see which Intel Wi-Fi adapter you have. Mine was the Intel 8265 Wireless AC.  Just google Intel 8265 drivers and go to Intel's site to download and install the driver. All fixed, been working great for me now.

Omrikos Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue? I see it has been 3 months since you posted.

Can you confirm this solved the issue?

Can't believe it happens on a $2k computer.

People warned me from buying HP because of all these technical issues but I didn't listen... 

Pitty though because other than this annoing issue I really like the computer.

Waiting for your update, thanks!

0 Kudos
PCHelpForce Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, updating the wireless driver with the version from Intel's website did fix the freezing issue. I did also update the BIOS with an update from HP's website so I would do that as well. A lot of times they find a glitch and fix it with updated BIOS code. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation