Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 - 13-ap0023dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Spectre x360 purchased March 30, 2019 had been working fine, sitting on my desk yesterday (3/29/2021) with a spreadsheet open, plugged in for more than one hour with battery showing it was charging when the notebook suddenly shut off.  There was no change made to the notebook configuration or settings, and no upgrade installed.  The notebook will not power back on.  With power cord connected and plugged into a known working power strip/electrical outlet there is no light on next to the charging port.  I tried connecting to an alternate power cable from a 2nd 4 year old Spectre and same symptoms.   Tried connecting each power cord individually to Spectre in an alternate known working electrical outlet (without any power strip or any other device connected to same outlet) and same results with each power cord - Spectre would not power on or boot, and no status light comes on next to charging port.

I tried connecting the original power cord from the newer Spectre to the older but working Spectre and it worked fine and passed the AC Adapter test when connected to the older Spectre.

The newer but no longer functional Spectre was plugged into a maybe 6 month old  power strip along with a 2nd laptop, monitor, and USB-C port replicator.  None of the other devices had any issues before or since the Spectre died.

I took the dead Spectre to a local HP Service Center offered as an option from the HP VIrtual chat agent (after none of the other steps suggested by the chatbot helped), they confirmed issue did not seem to be related to the power cord, but the only option they offered was to open the notebook and potentially replace the motherboard at an estimated cost at $750 or higher.  For a very expensive notebook that is just hitting 2 years old this seems like an unreasonable solution, especially given the number of "Spectre 360 power/won't boot" complaints posted in just the past month, let alone historically (which I now wish I'd read before purchasing this 2nd Spectre!)

I attempted to look up if the motherboard was a replacement part I could order and install myself, hopefully for less, but it came back as not even available to order.

I'm hoping I can get feedback from an HP employee on any option I may have to either get this notebook repaired or even order replacement parts instead of having no other option but to dispose of it and purchase something OTHER THAN AN HP SPECTRE to replace it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or assistance.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.