Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl152nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The issue I'm having appears to be identical to one that appeared earlier this year on these forums...see ‎04-30-2019 post, Hard Drive 3F0 error - Hp Spectre x360 15" (2017 model).

I have a 2017 HP Spectre X360 15" laptop with a SK Hynix 512GB SSD hard drive. I've had the laptop for nearly 2 yrs. Yesterday I tried to bring the laptop out of sleep and it just hung - the screen briefly flashed purple and then no response. After forcing it to reset by pressing & holding the power button, the laptop came up to a BIOS screen that said "Hard disk not found. Error 3F0". I've done the recommended diagnostic hard drive test and that test comes back immediately, showing the same result: "Hard disk not found. Error 3F0".

Clearly, the hard disk is not responding. What is my next step? Is there a way to determine if this is an SSD issue or a motherboard issue? If I need a new SSD, does HP provide replacement SSDs with the appropriate Windows 10 image & drivers already loaded? This doesn't appear to be an uncommon problem with the 2017 HP Spectre x360 15" model. The previous post references this issue also happening with a Samsung 1TB SSD.

I'd appreciate some help & recommendations. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@random4567,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting to Windows and you are getting a hard drive error.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06201699

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried F2 & the PC hardware diagnostics utility mentioned in the link you sent. Both the hard drive quick test and the extensive test return 'No hard drive installed' and don't return any failure ID. What's interesting is I do hear the same slight whine indicating hard drive access when these tests are run, that I've always heard with this laptop. I used to think it was amusing that I could still detect hard drive accesses on this laptop, even with a supposedly silent SSD. Now I wonder if that meant the SSD or motherboard was broken the whole time.

I have read several of these 3F0 posts involving the Spectre x360 and other users usually mention being able to bring the drive and Windows back up after power cycling repeatedly for a couple (!) hours. I do not have the patience for that. I've gone ahead and purchased a new M.2 SSD (Samsung this time, not the SK Hynix originally provided on the laptop). I've convinced your customer service team to let me download the correct Windows 10 & drivers image from the Microsoft cloud.

Again, I do appreciate your effort to sort this out. But I'm pretty sure this SSD is toast. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm guessing there's no chance of remediation due to this defective disk, for my time, money & inconvenience? Guess I'll just have to wait for the class action suit.

HP Recommended

Alright, *now* I need to take back all the bad things I was saying about HP customer support lol. Your service team reached out to me this morning and offered to FedEx a replacement recovery media USB drive to me, free of charge. I'm still out the cost of a new 512GB SSD to replace the damaged original but this is a whole lot less hassle then having to create my own USB recovery media. Thank you!

HP Recommended

@random4567

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😄

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.