Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15-ac123tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi , recently I have run into some weird issue with my hp notebook 15-ac123tx . I

I click on power button while turning on , the display goes blank  while all the led's and fan is still working , it won't turn on and I couldn't even turn my laptop off by pressing the power button even for more than a minute .

To turn it off while the display is still blank I need to remove the battery . And now if I try to turn my laptop by inserting the battery , it won't show any life . So I removed my battery , pressed power button for 30 sec and pulg in ac and try to turn on my machine only on ac adapter  , even after doing all these , sometimes it turns on and sometimes it won't .

I need to repeat this cycle by trying to turn it on with battery and sometimes with ac  . After doing all these steps once in a while it turns on . This problem only happens when I press my power button while it is booting up .

Sometimes my laptop suddenly goes to sleep state and won't turn on or won't turn off by pressing power button ..and then I need to repeat the above steps and once in a while it turns on .

I don't know what is causing this issue . The battery is okay bcoz sometimes it runs on battery and ac is okay because sometimes it runs only on ac adapter . I updated my bios too .. but no use .. 

Why won't any laptop turns off by long pressing power button ? Strange issue ..

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Nani-Tom

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

BIOS default:

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you , I have tried everything that you have mentioned but the issue is still not gone . I forgot to mention that while my lapotop is still on , if I click my power button ,the screen goes blank (not sleep state ,) and also the bottom led (laptop turned on led ) on the right side of my laptop blinks ... What does that mean and no matter what I do , it won't start again .

I opened my laptop and when I tried to turn on my laptop directly from mother board(by simulating a switch by connecting the two pins) , it turns on each time. So I thought the problem is with my power button . May be it is damaged or If the problem is with mother board itself.  Why would it happen ?

HP Recommended

@Nani-Tom

It could either be an issue with the Power Button or worse the Motherboard

I suggest you contact HP Support in your Region for Service Options

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.