Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp stream notebook 11
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
My hp stream 11 has been stuck on the restart screen for over an hour. All I did was try to restart the computer and then it froze on the blue restarting screen and it's still doing it. It won't turn off either I've tried holding the power button for 8-10 seconds and nothing happens. What should I do to fix this? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please help me!!
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Stream 11 Notebook and it not starting correctly.  Try performing a hard reset.

When performing a hard reset please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices.

Here is a link to computer won't start for Windows.

Plug the power adapter directly into a different wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue.

You can do a system restore. System restore will help if something automatically updated and did not go well on the Notebook.

When performing a System restore please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices as they can cause issues.

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same problem with my hp stream 11-r010nr.

It is stuck at the Restarting (with the rotating dotted circle).

I have tried a forced reset using the instructions above and the laptop is non responsive.

I have tried 1) holding the power button alone for over 2 minutes.

I have tried 2) holding the power button + the mute button for over 2 minutes.

The device will still go into screen power down after inactivity, and wake to activity either on the keyboard or mouse movement.

As this is a sealed battery unit, I am at a loss as to how to power cycle it.  Do I have to wait for the battery to be completely discharged before it will be reset?  Is the hard reset keyboard combination different for this stream 11 different than the ones documented above?

HP Recommended

Hey @Dani1227,

The method is to remove the power cord and push on hold the power button. 

If this does not help please call us. They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
I am having the same problem. I've had the machine just over a week. I tried to do the updates it recommended, half of which failed. After that I tried to restart. It has been stuck on the blue restart screen for over 24 hours now. I've got it unplugged currently, and have tried hard power off to no effect.
HP Recommended
Oh, it is a Stream 11, 11-r010nr.
HP Recommended

Hi @Hoowil,

There is a section in the Hard reset document that shows you how to Reset a notebook with a sealed or non-removable battery.

If not you will need to call us.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
I found the hard reset documents unhelpful.

I solved my problem by allowing the battery power to exhaust fully. After exhausting the battery, the power button became responsive again and I was able to power up and successfully reinstall any updates.
HP Recommended
I have to agree, the hard reset intructions were not helpful at all. I had already tried holding the power button, and read the reset instructions, and tried again before posting to the forum.
I really hope there is another way than tojust wait for the battery to die, as I need the machine for school and work, so waiting days for it to run out of battery kind of puts me in a bind.
HP Recommended
My battery exhausted power overnight since in this abnormal state, the PC never hibernates. Either way, if you can't power cycle, I don't think there is much HP support can do for you, short of mailing it back to them.

AND you can't/shouldn't mail it back (RMA authorized of course) while it is ON. So no matter what, I think you will have to allow the battery to exhaust.

I apologize for not being able to help more, but this approach did resolve my issue, and I was able to take all subsequent system updates with no issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.