Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cd004au
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, at present my laptop, after turning on, is showing the hp logo above " Preparing Automatic Repair ".

It appears this will remain to infinity !

I got to this point after receiving an error message that I had no hard drive, or it was unable to be located or similar from what I recall.

Not so tech savvy but I managed to run some test & results were :

Hard Drive Smart Check - passed

Hard Drive short DST Check - FAILED

Failure ID :

MFNKM9-91TBRH-MFPW21-60VV03

Hoping someone knowledgeable on the subject can translate what this ID means please ?

I'm assuming the worst & if so I'd be so appreciative to be pointed to a 'step by' regarding removal/instal of hard drive & also recommendations for similar hard drive.

Thanks in advance to anyone reading my problem & doubly so if taken the time to reply with vital info.

Cheers

Bob

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Enter the required information at the link below and it should provide a general overview of the problem and the most likely way to repair it.

HP Customer Support - Service Center

Most likely based on the info you have provided, you will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

I recommend that you replace the failed 2.5" 1 TB mechanical hard drive with a better performing 2.5" solid state drive (SSD).

Below is the link to the service manual where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05485598.pdf

After you replace the drive, you can use the HP cloud recovery tool and a 32 GB USB flash drive to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

You can download the software from the Microsoft Store.

HP Cloud Recovery Tool - Microsoft Store Apps

You will have to use the utility on another PC, so you will need to enter your notebook's product number in the tool's search window in order to proceed to make the recovery media.

Your PC's product number is: 2EU88PA#ABG

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the reply.

Unfortunately the link you provided to access the instructions to remove the hard drive is showing "page not found".

I am using my phone if that is relevant. 

Cheers

Bob

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Bob.

The link I posted works fine for me.

No worries.

I have attached the service manual for you, below.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.