Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15r-231cy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Turn On laptop with external; Power applied, HP boot logo appears, after about 10 seconds the screen goes Black.  If I remove the external Power the screen appears.  I can log on but if I insert the external power before the disc has completed the startup the screen again goes black.

I can force the screen to appear if after turning it ON I press the Power button so it goes into sleep and press again and all is good.

I have set the Power Saver to OFF and the screen and system to never go to sleep if plugged in.

The battery is fully charged.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@wingtips

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Notebook - 15-r231cy TouchSmart. I read that when the charger is connected, the display goes blank on the laptop's screen. However, when on battery power, the laptop works fine. I'll be glad to assist you with this case. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Does the battery charge till 100% with the charger connected?
  • Did any hardware changes happen on the laptop?
  • Is this the original charger that came with the laptop.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Please update the BIOS on your laptop via this link. Ensure that the battery is charged to 100% before you initiate the BIOS update.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please feel free to let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@wingtips

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Notebook - 15-r231cy TouchSmart. I read that when the charger is connected, the display goes blank on the laptop's screen. However, when on battery power, the laptop works fine. I'll be glad to assist you with this case. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Does the battery charge till 100% with the charger connected?
  • Did any hardware changes happen on the laptop?
  • Is this the original charger that came with the laptop.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Please update the BIOS on your laptop via this link. Ensure that the battery is charged to 100% before you initiate the BIOS update.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please feel free to let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

The battery shows 100% and I ran the HP battery check.  All good.  I did remove the battery and disconnected the power source.  Held the Power button and then reinstalled the battery.  Same problems.

Downloaded the BIOS from HP and reinstalled.  No change.

New information.  If I power On using external Power, the screen goes Black.  During the boot if I then push the power button, the laptop goes into sleep.  I can see this by the left  front LED blinking.  If I push the Power button again the laptop comes out of sleep with the sign in splash screen displayed. 

I can do this process repeatedly so I know this is a means of getting the lalptop back to operational.

Does this give you any more clues?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Dan Kahn

HP Recommended

In an attept to determine the cause I also reloaded the OS and did all the win 10 updates.  Of course this did not fix it.  Also to answer one of your remaining questions, no new hardware has been installed.  The only new software is Avast, ccleaner and the HP OJ5740 printer driver.  These were all in  place before I reloaded the win 10 OS.

BTW, after reload of the OS I lost the HP Resource Manager app.  I can not find anywhere on the hP site to download this.  I have downloaded the HP Support Assistant.

Regards,

Dan Kahn

HP Recommended

I transfered the URL of this post to the troubled laptop and opened the link to the BIOS.  Performed the install and it seems to have corrected the problem. My reflash of the BIOS from another site must have been an old version since it did not correct the problem.

One last request, when I did the win 10 re-install I lost the HP Resource Manager app.  I could not find any location on the HP site to download it.  Can you provide the link?

Thank you so much for the solution to this problem.

Regards,

Dan Kahn

HP Recommended

@wingtips

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue. Kudos to you for that.

I'm glad to know that the issue is corrected. 

Reinstalling Windows deletes all data and restores the laptop to its original factory condition. However, you may try to restore some programs from the recovery partition of the laptop. Please refer to this HP article for additional information.

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

That article shows how to use the HP Recovery Manager.  This app is no longer available after a reload of the OS.

Thee is a backup file in the D drive but I am reluctant to start it if it reloads an older OS.

Any other thoughts on finding the source file for the HP Resource Manager?

Thanks for the Kudos.

Regards

HP Recommended

this didnot solve the problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.