Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
sonam31 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop not starting, power button light is on, but screen remains black.

HP Pavilion g6 1200tx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Day before yesterday when I was trying to start my laptop, the light turned on-off continuously several times, and finally the power key light turned on but the screen was black.

And yesterday the light turned on-off thrice. But after that every time I turned it, the power button light got on, but the screen was black.
Present situation: On starting my laptop, the power key light is on, but the screen persists to be black, not getting on-off on it's own.

I found one solution, of removing the battery as well as charger and pressing the power key for about 60 seconds. But it didn't help.
Please suggest what might the problem be and solutions!!

2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
37072 5593 9641
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The laptop is probably about 5 years old and has had a major hardware failure i.e. a dead motherboard. Unfortunately, it happens. On laptops that old, parts are not very expensive and if you are or you know someone who is good at following a manual and using a screwdriver carefully the motherboard can be replaced for not very much money...maybe $60-100US. 

If you have to have a shop do it for parts plus labor you are better off with a new laptop. The data can almost certainly be recovered from the hard drive. 

Post back if you want more information or help or just to commiserate. 

0 Kudos
sonam31 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

But a day earlier when I was trying to start it again, it started just normally. I checked all the data, it was all present. But after about 10-15 minutes, it got so heat up that it shut down again, leading to not a proper shut down but the black screen being present and the power button white light on.
Could it be a problem related to heating, or the fan being dusty?
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation