Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 17t-n100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop has all at once stopped being able to power on.  The light on the side is OUT when plugged in.  This light will not illuminate orange or white under any circumstance (plugged in or not...battery installed or not).  I'm assuming the battery is totally dead and won't charge.  I've tired a different (matching) AC adaptor, and the result was the same.  I tried the laptop's OEM AC adaptor with another laptop, and it works fine.  So it's back to something being wrong with the laptop itself.  It's just that it's not that old, and I hate to simply replace it.  Does anyone know why it wouldn' t be taking a charge or power at all?  Is it worth fixing...or would the cost be too high?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Mine is an Envy 15-U1100(?)-x360

Just replaced HD with a SSD and installed W10. Ran fine for aobut two weeks now it seems. Was using it last night on battery at about 50% charge and was just going to plug it in when the screen went black.

There is no power light illumination when plugging in the AC adapeter. Using a Fluke multimeter it shows 19.2Vdc at the plug.

Yet plugging it into laptop there is no LED illumination.

So, does this mean the mother board is dead? The battery information shows a build date of Dec. 2014 as a reference of build date. I bought it that summer. Is this worth repairing?

Yes, I went to the hard reset process and the two combinations of holding teh "W" key for a W10 black screen of death. it was not until later that evening drilling down the TS process that lead me to investigate the 'power' led status.

Look forward to some insight as this was my main reliebel laptop. Presently I'm on one that is 7 years old an old AMD pavillion with sticky keys that work when its in the mood.

Thanks everyone.

HP Recommended

@Ringsteel,

Thank you for reaching out to the HP Support community!

• Have you tried plugging the adapter to a different Power outlet?

It could be either an issue with the Power adapter, Power Outlet or with the Motherboard.

• Try connecting the Adapter to a different Power Outlet and check if it works.
  • If you still have the same issue, check with a different Power adapter to check if the PC powers on
  • If the PC would not power up with different outlets and different adapters then it could be an issue with the motherboard.

Let me know if this information helps. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes...I've verified the outlet is ok.  The particular adaptor with the laptop WILL work on another laptop...so I can only assume it's ok as well.  Again...the laptop in question has NO power light (orange or white) of any kind when plugged in.

HP Recommended

@cobrar97,

I think this could be an issue with the hardware/motherboard.

I would request you to contact our HP Support Team for Service/Replacement/Upgrade options.

Click on this Link to contact HP.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.