Top Student
3 1 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Legacy BIOS Option Yields Gray Screen & No boot

15 Touchscreen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was working on a client's HP 15 Touchscreen and needed to boot a flash drive to perform a virus scan. It originally had Windows 8.1 instaled but had been force-upgraded to Windows 10.

When I enabled Legacy Support it automagically disabled Secure Boot. I set the UEFI boot order to USB, OSD then HDD. I set the Legacy boot order to USB, OSD then HDD. Saved and exited.

Laptop restarted and stopped dead, nothing but a gray screen. Fan runs but HDD is silent. Nothing on the screen, not even a blinking cursor. Power off, pull battery, disconnect AC, drain the capacitors, attach AC and boot. Same result.

Power off/on and tap ESC, same result. Repeat but tap F10, same result. Connect external monitor, no video. Recover BIOS and boots perfectly from HDD, still no Legacy support.

Tried just disabling Secure Boot only but it automagically enabled Legacy, and disabling Legacy automagically enabled Secure Boot.

I've scoured the internet and this forum. Saw one topic with exacly the same problem but with no resolution. I no longer have the laptop so cannot give more info or do further tests.

Does anyone know why enabling Legacy and disabling Secure Boot would cause this? Need an answer 'cuz I'm pretty sure this is going to be a problem in the near-future. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Silkaline Tutor
Tutor
12 10 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Legacy BIOS Option Yields Gray Screen & No boot

I am also having the same problem, but not gray screen. I get vertical colorful lines after i enable legacy support. 😞  Waiting for replies so that i can enable legacy support

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation