Did you mean: 
Roonay
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Need to disable secure boot but LCD screen broken

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
So I am trying to fresh install Windows 10 on my old HP Pavillion 15 laptop however to do this I need to disable secure boot so I can boot from the usb. However my LCD screen is broken on the left hand side so I am unable to see the code I need to type in to confirm the changes. I have tried connecting it to an external monitor but that does not work in the bios. Does anyone know anyway I can do this?
1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
18,858 18,800 1,756 4,155
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Need to disable secure boot but LCD screen broken

@Roonay

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

Any external screen you connect is not going to show a display until Windows is loaded, including the video drivers needed to display the external screen.  That prevents it from being used to perform any BIOS-related functions.

Sorry, but you would have to get the broken screen replaced -- and that is likely to be quite expensive.

Here is information on HP Service Centers from which you might be able to get a repair estimate:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation