Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

mine is a dv7-3165dx

HP Recommended

solved my problem in this thread:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Dv7-3165dx-Laptop-turns-off-unexpectedly-...

here is what i did:

Big_Dave told me to:

"Unplug the laptop and remove the battery. Hold down the power button for 60 seconds. Replace the battery and boot up. Now go into the Contol Panel ---> Power options and reset your plan settings, save and reboot."

after following that i figured out that my laptop would die when it reached critical battery level. so I changed the settings for my power plan to this:

reserve battery level (this is when the popup will come up.)

10%

low battery level (this is when the low battery action will be performed.)

8%

critical battery level (my comp would die at this point.)

7%

low battery action: sleep, sleep (customize this to your liking.)

low battery notification: on,on (keep this on.)

critical battery action: sleep, sleep (my comp would die already at critical.)

and smooth sailing, now it warns me with the pop up at 10% and goes into sleep at 8%. tested it and it has worked twice since changing the settings.

hopefully it might help you too.

basically keep the percentages in this order from highest percentage to lowest: reserve, low, and critical.

HP Recommended

Even after checking the hardware and if you find no defect in it,I think the problem is in the power options.You need to adjust the option of actions on low/critical battery.First,follow this route,

"Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options".In Power Options Menu,click

"Change Plan Settings".Then,on 

"Change Advanced Power Settings".There,first,you have to first choose your active power option(High Performance,HP Recommended or Power Saver),and below that tab,find and expand the group "Battery"and you should choose what you wish to do when the battery reaches low/critical level and how you want to define the low and critical levels.For example,if you don't like shutting down when the battery is low,you can choose either sleeping or hibernating and you can define your own limit of low and critical battery levels.

For the warning-case,your computer surely warns,two times,once at the low level and anothe at the crical.But,the default alerts for them by the windows has chosen is not easily noticeble or if you are playing music or movie,you would not notice it.If you would like to choose your favourite alert,go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Sound\Sounds.In "Sounds" panel there,search "Critical Battery Alarm" and "Low Battery Alarm".You can also test your active sound and choose your favourite alert by choosing in their list or even browsing in your hard drive,maybe even what you have produced on your own!

[I have given my answer with my own experience which I have met on my own HP Pavilion dv4 and Windows 7 Home Premium,and my answer might be not useable to your different dv6 model.However,if there was anyone else who could find this answer helpful,I produced this reply]

HP Recommended

I'm having this issue as well.  Checked my power settings - everything is on default.  Yet still get times when my laptop is turning off at ~15% or more.

HP Recommended

hi i have a HP pavillion dv6t i am having the same problem my computer switches off without giving any warning hp's authorised self centre couldnt resove this problem its not been a year also and these problems are occuring

HP Recommended

Same problem. My laptop shuts down suddenly without a low battery warning at about 30% life. It also does not charge beyond 91 %. Battery check shows status as ok. Can anyone help me to solve the problem?

HP Recommended

I have dv5 and i have this problem too. The laptop only stays on about 30 minutes. it shuts off at 15% or more one time it shut off at 40%. it give me no low battery warning. when I first got the laptop it did but now it doesn't. I've tried holding down teh power button thing like I saw suggested earlier on here. I thought it worked but it didn't my laptop shut off at 25% with no warning. I tried to do the battery check and calibrate thing but I can't find that in my control panel I have Windows 7 64bit.  I really need this solved. I use my laptop for school and classes are 50 minutes or more long. Having a laptop that dies randomly all the time will make school work very hard. PLEASE PLEASE some HP tech help all us people with this problem.

HP Recommended
click the orb, then type power in the text box at bottom, you'll see many power options at top; pick one that works for you.

Good luck!
HP Recommended

I"ve checked the settings many times. My laptop doesn't even get to the 10% warnign before it shuts off. I've tried everything I can find to fix this. Just now when I was trying to reply to this is shut off at 21% . it does this every time. it always shuts off between 40 and 20%. I ran a battery check and it says it's weak but that should only shorten the time between charging not make it shut off at only 20%. I can't bring it to class with me anymore because of this and it's very frustrating.

HP Recommended
Hi EylonBear, sounds like the battery is finished; you can purchase a genuine HP replacement by going to the top of this thread to support for your model laptop, or you can buy an aftermarket battery via the web by searching via your battery's model/part number. purchase wisely from a dealer via a reputable vendor like Amazon or E-bay---some single source battery vendors are good too. If your laptop is under warranty, Hp's the way to go.
Good luck!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.