Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi:

When you factory reset the notebook, you will return the hard drive to its 'out of the box' condition.

So any programs or files you have installed since the day you got your notebook, will be erased.

If you have backed up any personal files you don't want to lose onto a portable storage device, then there is nothing to be concerned about.

HP Recommended

I understand!!

HP Recommended
I did everything u told me to..but it's doesn't say 'out of the box' condition...
It's says
Reinstall windows
Are you sure you want to reinstall windows?
The existing windows installation will be moved to windows. old directory. You can retrieve data from that location after the restore completes. Any program you've installed will need to be reinstalled using the the original installation discs or files...

If the operating system drive is protected using Bitlocker drive encryption the protection will be suspended. After windows is reinstalled, you can resume protection on the drive from bitlocker Drive encryption in control panel..I've pressed yes or no...can the laptop restarts but nothing gets deleted....
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with that issue.

It should have wiped the drive and reinstalled Windows from scratch, and you should have had to go through the steps to create a user account, etc.

Something has gone wrong with the recovery manager and how it works.

I don't know if you want to throw good money after bad, but you could order a set of recovery disks for that model from a 3rd party vendor.  The recovery disks should restore the hard drive to its out of the box condition.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-17183-recovery-kit-589348-001-for-hp-model-number-dv6-1360us.aspx

That notebook is very old, and HP no longer sells recovery disks for it anymore.

Another thing you could do would be to create a user account for your niece (don't password protect it), make sure she is a computer administrator, log out of your account, and then you can log in to her account, and delete your account.

You would also have the option to delete all of your files and profile, etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.