Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion 17 e020us stuck in BIOS update loop

Pavilion 17 e020us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last week HP support assistant sent a message that my BIOS needed to be upgraded.  Since then, I have been in a continuous BIOS Update loop.  I have tried making a flashable usb drive.  I got that to work, but I used the previous BIOS version for my machine.  When the BIOS was writing, it got to 19% and sat awhile then zipped on to 100%.  When the machine restarted, I was still stuck in the bios loop.  Thinking that perhaps there was a problem with this version of BIOS---FROM THE HP SITE FOR MY SPECIFIC MACHINE, I tried to find the page with Bios update files, but have been unable to find it again.  

Does anyone know the link to this page?  Whenever I go through the HP support site, I get nowhere.  

I have also tried multiple Fn keys, but I always end up in the loop.  I removed the power supply, battery, and hard drive, but when I put it back together, back in the loop.  

My machine is out of warranty.  I tried to start up from a windows 10 flash drive, but...the dreaded Bios loop.

Please help.  If anyone has the link to the bios updates, that would be great!  Any other suggestions would be helpful, too.

Anyone know how much HP charges for something like this?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 359
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @bigrbink

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. Here at the Forums, you can find solutions, suggestions and helping hands! I understand that you are having an issue since upgrading your BIOS. 

I checked your HP Pavilion 17-e020us Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads page and see that there are no software or drivers available for this product with Windows 10.

Please remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues and then try to restart the Notebook again. 

Have you tried a hard reset?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Are you receiving an error message at all?

Have you done a BIOS reset?

Follow these steps to remove and reseat memory modules to see if that helps:

1. Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the cover to access the memory.

3. Remove all of the memory modules in the computer.

4. Reinsert all memory modules.

5. Replace the service cover, battery, and power cord.

6. Turn on the computer.

If that does not work, please try to perform a BIOS Recovery manually please follow these steps:

• Turn off the computer.
  • Plug the notebook into power using the power adapter.

While the computer is still off:

• Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold down the Power button on the notebook for one second.
  • Release the Power button and the keys.

By following these steps the BIOS will reach the UEFI partition in order to recover the BIOS to the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive. For information on how to restore the BIOS refer to the HP support document:  Restoring the BIOS

If the key combination does not work, complete the following steps to reload the factory installed BIOS Setup settings:

1. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the Exit tab.

2. Select Load Setup Defaults.

3. Select Save Changes and Exit (pressing F5 and the Enter key will also load the Setup Defaults).

4. Press Esc and then Enter to exit Setup.

Others joining in might have the same issue and if you feel this post has helped you, or could help others, please click the Accept as Solution button.

You can also say thanks or give a virtual high five easily by clicking the Thumbs Up.

Thank you for joining in with your experience!

Let me know how this goes and what the results of the troubleshooting steps provided were. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help! 

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Highlighted
Level 1
12 10 0 2
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Looks like HPs "recommended BIOS upgrade" just destroyed a perfectly good and ESSENTIAL laptop!!! ARGH!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 10 0 2
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok... so all I get now is the power light  on the wireless key light on, IF I start using windows and B then power. If I dont and try regular those two lights go on, then off then on again with the caps lock light flashing twice, pause twince pause... HELP this comp is great and has worked awesome for 3 years. I dont want to have to dump it for a stupic BIOS update fail!

Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 359
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Caps Lock blinking twice generally means BIOS corruption error occurs. If this occurs, update the BIOS on the computer. For more information, see Updating the BIOS.

If the computer does not automatically recover the BIOS, manually perform a BIOS recovery by following these steps:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Plug the notebook into power using the power adapter.

3. While the computer is still off:

1. Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold down the Power button on the notebook for one second.

2. Release the Power button and the keys.

By following these steps the BIOS will reach the EFI partition in order to recover the BIOS to the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive.

For information on how to restore the BIOS refer to the HP support document: HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS.

If you can (if you can get into the BIOS) please try to complete the following steps to reload the factory installed BIOS Setup settings:

1. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the Exit tab.

2. Select Load Setup Defaults.

3. Select Save Changes and Exit (pressing F5 and the Enter key will also load the Setup Defaults).

4. Press Esc and then Enter to exit Setup.

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation